Tuesday, October 02, 2012

A bit of ELVIS trivia …


I just heard the tail end of a radio show recently and the narrator said that Graceland, the Elvis Presley homestead in Memphis, Tennessee, was the 2nd most visited house in the US after the Whitehouse.

I really found that hard to believe. What about Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson, or the wonderful FDR home in Hyde Park, New York … or many others from our historic past?

Well, a search of the web did give me some answers. Evidently over 600,000 visitors a year trek to Graceland but more than that visit the Biltmore Estate in my home state of North Carolina yearly so there goes the authenticity of the Elvis statement.

  However it really doesn’t matter. Elvis is, and always will be, “the King” and, although he died in 1977 his fame has grown stronger with each passing year. I guess we all have our favorite memories of him and mine is his rendition of “All Shook Up”. Remember these lyrics:

“A well'a bless my soul
What'sa wrong with me?
I'm itchin' like a man in a fuzzy tree
My friends say I'm actin' wild as a bug
I'm in love … I'm all shook up.
Mm mm mm, mm, yay, yay”

Not exactly regal but he could get away with it and still retain his status as King. His fame has never wavered and, in 1993, a commemorative stamp was issued in his honor.

                                  
So I say …“Long live the ‘King’ and let’s hope he’s the only “royalty” to ever Grace-our-land !”

7 Comments:

Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I remember my parents laughing when they first saw Elvis perform. I bought all his 45s and LPs (yep, I'm THAT old) mostly because my parents didn't like them. But my mother learned to love him as well when she found out he sang hymns.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

My Ginny visited Graceland several years ago. She was so excited. My husband has also been there.
As for me, I've been to Lincoln's home twice. That was exciting for me as huge Lincoln fan!
Love Di ♥

9:15 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Having visited all three you mentioned I liked them much better. Also FDRs summer home on Campobello Island...:)

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Big John said...

I was a great Elvis fan back in the 1950's. I would have loved it if he had visited the UK, but he never did, unlike Bill Haley who I got to see live in London.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I was not a big Elvis fan but then my era was the Rolling Stones and the Beatles. I haven't been to Graceland. I do like Paul Simon's song Graceland.

2:39 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Elvis was OK, but I liked his slower pieces better. Its Now or Never being my absolute favorite.
Have never been to Graceland, never wanted to go.
I used to walk past Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's house every day on my way to school. Never would have bothered to go inside until a teacher took us. Duh.
I have had friends who lived in NYC and never visited the statue of Liberty.
Funny folk, we.

It was fun to see a pregnant you back in the day! You sure looked happy!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I was a tad too young for Elvis at his prime although I was aware of him. I do remember being in downtown Montreal and seeing girls wearing Elvis buttons. The local archbishop was able to keep Elvis and his hips out of Montreal. I think a concert had been scheduled, but it wasn't allowed to go forward. Weird, huh?

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home