Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Anyone for an ANIMAL CRACKER ???



Remember these little gems? They’re still around … as I found out when a co-worker brought a big jug of them recently to the Clinic where I volunteer twice a week. It really jogged my memory as I happily munched out on a handful of them.

I think I first became aware of them way back in the 1930’s. I can’t remember my exact age but I do recall that my sisters and I were each given one of the little boxes with the strings attached as a Christmas treat. We would hang them on the tree when they were empty !



I was interested to read that they actually were imported from England in the late 19th century although the Barnum animal theme came many years later, as did the colorful packaging. But what really struck me, as I ate my fill, was how delightfully different they are from the sickly sweet cookies and candies that are foisted on us today.

I dare say that the sugar industry has done a thorough job in changing the taste buds of America. No wonder we have a crisis of obesity in our country and it’s time we turned the clock back to that simpler time … when a box of Animal Crackers was all the sweetness we needed.




11 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

Even when I was a kid Ginnie, we didn't have near as many sweets available as today. I do remember the animal cracker boxes. I loved them too! I saw the same jug of the Animal Crackers at the store the other day and thought, "That's not fun!".
Love Di ♥

5:23 PM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

You hit my sweet spot. I love these little cookies and eat them til today. Dianne

7:25 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We are quite up to date with Animal Crackers around this place. The old box looks familiar but I'm not sure why as I was probably never given any. Other kids may have had them.

2:20 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I see the big containers of Animal Crackers at Costco, and have to tell myself--just walk on by.
They are munchable, aren't they?

5:25 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, I well remember enjoying these treats and didn't realize they are still available. Maybe I will go out and look for some next time I'm grocery shopping.

6:28 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I think they were the only cookies I ever had as a kid. And you are probably right, they are not as sweet as the junk on the shelves today.
Back when I still was eating cookies, I ate mostly Lorna Doones or soe other short-bread which did not seem as sweet.
Hmmm, I do remember discovering oreos years ago. I knew anything that good had to be bad! And they are. So, I try to stay sugar free.

4:45 AM  
Anonymous Big John said...

Wasn't there a song about "animal crackers in my soup" ? Sounds a bit weird to me, and I've never heard of them being sold in England.

7:37 AM  
Blogger joared said...

I remember animal crackers, but don't recall that we bought cookies of any kind. What sweets we had my Mom made -- only occasionally at that -- chocolate chip cookies were a treat -- and on special occasions she would give us a piece of chocolate she kept hidden. Her specialty was baking fruit pies, but again, they were a special treat, as was devils food cake.

I was an adult with a paying job before I discovered Lorna Doone's, Possum, but I still like them -- though rarely eat them now.

2:09 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Ah yes, I remember them well. And your right they weren't all sugar either...

4:51 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I'm not eating any wheat or sugar. It's amazing how many obese people there are. I'm glad to be tall and trim, but I don't overeat either.

I remember those animal crackers and would look at each one as it came out of the box. A good memory from childhood.

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's serendipity,

Imagine my surprise to see that long lost album on your blog. Yes, the purple album with the woman dancing!

THIS is the album I was trying to describe to you when we went out to supper with Dave & Brian ( at Warrens, a while back)

Now I have to find it on CD since I don't have that little $15.00 used record player and the Sherwood is long gone!

Lovies ... guess who

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home