Saturday, August 11, 2012

Bless this house …



My blogger friend Syd posted a sweet picture a while back showing the type of love letter that he and his wife often leave for each other. It reminded me of when that would happen to me almost daily.

This was in the late 80’s and Dick’s health was worsening by the day, but that didn’t stop him from keeping a positive attitude. He had a hard time getting to sleep and sometimes actually spent the night dozing off in his lounge chair. I, on the other hand, had to be at work in the ER by 6:30 in the morning so I’d go to bed early. (We used to kid that we were like ships passing in the night)

He was almost always asleep when I left for work but few mornings passed that he didn’t leave me one of the comic drawings that you see here. They would be part of a note telling me how he’d fared medically during the night. I often wrote back to him and then he’d check in with me later in the day.

I wish I had saved more of them but he usually threw them out once he’d read what I’d written. However, this little collage featuring Dick (age approx. 40, on his beloved horse, Thunder), and the cartoons and the wonderful words that he wrote, ("Bless this house for relaxation, recouperation and restoration") are really all I need to remind me of his amazing spirit.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's great. We don't do this. Perhaps we should.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Di-Git said...

I enjoyed reading your letter!
Were you sober in those days?

5:57 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Lovely remembrance of Dick and his wife. You?? Dianne

7:19 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

That is so nice, Ginnie. I like the notes and cards as a reminder of humor as well as love!

2:17 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Ginnie,
I love reading all of your posts. Your memories are so very special.
Life has changed so much from those days, some for the good and some for the bad. Dick's note makes me smile so much.
Love to you.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

In our home, we make it a practice to tell one another we love each other and always kiss before bedtime and in the morning. And, when at home we always have our morning coffee while sitting in bed - without fail. Your was a lovely remembrance, Ginnie.

6:46 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

What a wonderful keepsake!!

I had some letters with decorated envelopes from an old high school boyfriend that I really wish I had kept!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

What a lovely thoughtful man who appreciated your daily contact.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home