Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Serendipity & “The Carolina Chocolate Drops”



In March of this year my daughter, son-in-law and I attended a concert featuring Peggy Seeger. She was wonderful and it was like icing on the cake when she introduced us to an audience member she’d mentored since she was a small child. This was Rhiannon Giddens, the lead singer of the Durham, NC based Carolina Chocolate Drops .

Rhiannon agreed to sing for us and she captured out hearts with a song she’d written herself, accompanied only by her banjo. It was my introduction to the group and I couldn’t wait to hear more.

Since that evening I’ve learned that the Carolina Chocolate Drops are actually one of the most listened to Folk Groups in our country. They certainly deserve the honor and if you haven’t heard them yet you’re in for a treat.

Now here’s the serendipity part of my story. It was Saturday night and I had TV playing in the background as I did some work on my computer. It was a musical offering…a rerun of a tribute to Johnny Cash with different groups performing. It was good but I was tired and just about to call it a night when I heard that the next in line were the Carolina Chocolate Drops.

What a treat ! I turned off the computer, went in and watched their performance and then wrote a short email to my kids in NY telling them how much I’d enjoyed it.

Imagine my surprise when I received an email back within the hour. They were writing to tell me that they had just returned home from a concert at the Fisher Center at Bard College in Red Hook and guess who they saw?           None other than the CAROLINA CHOCOLATE DROPS !!


9 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Serendipity indeed!! I have heard OF them, but I don't know if I have heard them - but I will remedy that ASAP.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sometimes these coincidences are quite unique and this was indeed a pleasant one.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

A nice unplanned surprise for sure Ginnie. I wonder if I can find them on youtube and give them a listen?
Love Di ♥

7:00 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

This is similar to the experience when we learn of a group we really like and had never heard of them before but now they seem to be everywhere: on the radio, the TV. billboards, charity events etc. I am sure they were there before but our enhances knowledge, interest and sensitivity find us noticing them everywhere.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

The tribute to Johnny rocked. What luck you heard your favorite group. Dianne

5:13 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Wow! Lucky you. They have become very popular in our area and I am delighted.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have nevr heard of this group, but I have never heard of the well-known "IN" singers either. I do live a sheltered life.

2:48 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I've heard them and they are really good. They regularly play here in Charleston.

2:43 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Aren't they great, Ginnie?
Thanks.
Trying to catch up here.
Love to you.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home