Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A partial repeat … and an ongoing journey



In August of 2010 I posted this picture on my blog accompanied by the following words:

“Isn’t this a lovely card? It was sent to me from my niece in St. Johnsbury, Vt. Her mother is my oldest sister Mary, now in a Rest Home in that area and I visited with them last month.

The words on the card are from a Danish Proverb and read:
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

That really touched me because it described our relationship in a nutshell. My niece is a very talented artist who has sacrificed the last two years to caring for her mother and seeing that her teenage son gets the best education possible. This is all very commendable but it has left little time or energy for her to pursue her own dreams.”


Well … that was 13 months ago and so much has happened since then. Her mother, my sister Mary, passed away quietly in December and her son is now off to college. Wendy can finally put herself on center stage and she’s done just that !

She applied for and was granted an Arts Fellowship at the Scuola Internationzale de Grafica in Venice, Italy and she‘s there for the months of August, September and October.



If you “google” Wendy Hansen Studio it takes you to her sites, one of which is her blog highlighting the colorful scenes of Venice. I was delighted to find that she has the gift of prose, as well as being a fine artist. That is reflected here in her blog description:

“this post highlights some of the "dolce", or sweet, surprises that reveal themselves around every corner of Venice. Oh, if we could only learn from Venetians not to fear joy!”

Isn’t that wonderful ?

7 Comments:

Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Lovely tribute to a special lady. Venice is so wonderful. Good for her winning her way there after years of sacrifice for others. I will look for her site.

My son proposed to his now wife while they were in a gondola on a canal in Venice.

Dianne

5:22 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

That is wonderful Ginnie, you must be so, so proud of her. I will go to her blog later tonight. I love anything about Italy!! Love Di ♥

11:26 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's her time. May she revel in it.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This post does justice to the saying that good things happen to good people. Your niece was surely deserving of the grant in terms of her talent and compassion. Good for her and I will visit her blog to see more of her work and prose too.

6:34 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Great news for Wendy. Good things come to those who wait.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Good for her. I'm glad that she is expanding her talents in such a beautiful place.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

May her reward for pausing and caring for others in love, see her spend years in creativity and fulfillment of her dreams.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home