Thursday, September 20, 2012

I’m one of “those people” … are you ???


I’ve spent a lifetime trying to do the right thing. I’ve worked hard and paid my taxes, including payroll taxes for Medicare and Social Security. Now I am a senior citizen and living on a fixed income and I receive a monthly check from the government … and yes, it’s true that I don’t pay Federal Income taxes.

So that makes me part of the 47% of “those people” that Mitt Romney so glibly has decided to ignore. Those are the ones he says …“believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them.”

In other words…lazy losers who contribute nothing and live on government handouts. Well, if I’m in that group it’s news to me. The small Social Security check I receive from the government monthly is not a handout… it’s recompense for paying into the SS fund faithfully until my retirement, at age 68, in 2001 and, as promised, it does provide security for my old age.

I’ve tried to keep an open mind but this last gaff by Mitt Romney is just too incredible to ignore. Can it possibly be true that he fails to realize that nearly a third of the 47% he’s disparaging are senior citizens like me with an income less than $16,812 a year?

…And, even more intriguing, is he ignoring the fact that many of them are Republicans and Independents?             Hmmmmmmmm.











12 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well, I'm pretty darn close. I wish I were closer to his $250,000 definition of middle class though. I think the GOP is just the P right now. They've made their bed with the wingnuts, which should have their own party. At one time, I rather liked the party.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

It's interesting that AC made the comment that "at one time I rather liked the party" because I can say the same thing. There was a time when there were Republicans that I could admire ... and the give and take between the two parties made our country strong. That time has passed I'm afraid.

5:04 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

If he is as clueless about other things as he is about that - he's a loser from the word go.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

The tape was heavily edited and ommitted some key phrases. Romney says he is for the 100% not one group or another. Shame on Mother Jones and the Carter boy for trying to influence the election by using dirty tricks.

You won't have to worry, however, as Mr. Obama and his Chicago gang are much better at winning elections than Mitt Romney who is running a pathetic, but clean campaign.

Oh goody, 4 more years of disaster, I can hardly wait.

Dianne, also on Medicare and SS.

6:26 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Well I am on SS, too... been paying into it since I was 15. I, too, was a Republican... but I eventually saw the GOP for what it was, and I grew up. Sure, I am disappointed in what Obama was able to do, but thank God he kept us away from Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran McPain and the half-wit hottie as the men around here called her.
I am far from Middle Class, but I was able to save as I went along, and so, I still pay taxes even tho I am retired and not getting a pay check.
And I have heard the entire tape. It did not get any better.

1:40 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

So true on who makes up some of that 46%.
My dad, for example, who thinks Obama is awful. I have a notion to say to my dad: I hear from Romney you are voting for Obama....

;-)

6:00 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

A note to Dianne--the tape was NOT edited. In fact, the whole thing is available on Mother Jones website.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Politics brings out the best and worst in propel and that includes the candidates. We have never received so many unwanted political calls from the Republican Party as in this current election time.

4:44 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

In all honesty Ginnie, he doesn't seem very bright to me.
Love Di ♥

10:25 AM  
Blogger momto8 said...

I do not believe he was talking about retired working people. I think the current administration took all the $ you guys put into the social security system to pay for the bailouts.
and with a platform that cheers and celebrates abortion, could nonworking frail elderly be far behind?! I would never support such an antilife agenda.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Romney is not a stupid man (I hold that on faith) I them have to wonder why he says (and does at times) stupid things????? He seems to have no mind of his own. He he so lacking in moral judgement that he speaks to a four the lunatics who have become the base of his party. If he does not have people to check the facts that support his view, he ought to do it himself. He will find that most of his ideas are ideological, anti-intellectual, irrational and saddest of all thinly disguised populist prejudices. This is not a person who has to make judgments of life and death and going to war.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

He is clueless about how the non-rich live. I listened to the debate last night and was astonished by his flip flops. Yet, he "won" because he was bombastic.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home