Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Look closely … my Turkey Buzzards have returned!



Some of you may remember my infatuation with the huge flock of Turkey buzzards that used to watch over me and my little house. I would often count more than 50 or 60 of them at one time and it always made me feel protected.

I never had to worry about snakes or other rodents, and I loved to watch them leave their perches in the morning. They would seem to slowly shake themselves awake and then, just as slowly, swoop on down and then take off “riding the thermals”, as my son-in-law calls it. But they always circled back at least once, as if to say, “Have a nice day.”

My black-winged friends deserted me three years ago when a developer bought the 50 acres that surround my house and the first thing he did was to take down ALL the huge trees. The few large trees that were left (on my property) were not enough to entice them to return.

I finally accepted that they were gone and I gave up checking the trees at sundown to see if they were there. THEN… just a few days ago my daughter was walking her dogs and she pointed them out to me. I was thrilled and took the picture that I’ve posted here.

Now I‘m wondering how long they‘ve been back with me and I just didn‘t know it. As you can see by the photo they are experts at camouflage and they can sneak in unnoticed. The fact that they make hardly any noise is another reason I could have been fooled.
Regardless of that they are here now and I welcome them “home”.

9 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

I like buzzards. I often wondered where they lay their eggs. I know that they have ground nests in some areas of the Piedmont. Cool that they are back.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Ha ha, you feel protectd, think I would worry they knew something about me that I didn't and were waiting:))
However, I am glad those trees are bearing black fruit again.
I love to watch them ride the thermals too.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's good to have friends in high places.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

What kind of an idiot would take out all the trees? Pooh on him. Now he'll plant a bunch of fast growing weed trees on his lots.

As for the buzzards, I am happy you enjoy them. Some folks around here in the burbs hate them. Don't know why either. People.

Dianne

1:11 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

That is so neat Ginnie. We were at my son's house one evening and there were so many of them flying around, I couldn't stop staring at them!
I'm so glad they made their way back to your place!
Love Di ♥

5:17 AM  
Blogger possum said...

As has been said, many folks don't like them... I am glad you do. They perform a great service in nature. However, my bet is that you have owls or possums to credit with eliminating your mice and snakes. Vultures eat carrion, and prefer herbivore carrion, if given a choice.
Google them, they are fascinating birds!

5:25 AM  
Blogger P.N. Subramanian said...

Happy home coming for the birds and congratulations to you too. I learn that they migrate to long distances. I do admit that they also need a conducive environment.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I believe we refer to these as turkey vultures. They show up in flocks around here when my neigbours cows are calving, being attracted by the after-birth on the ground. They are very interesting and "sail" rather than fly, in a characteristic way.

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, thank you so much for a extremely
compelling weblog, I will not in general post responses but really liked your
weblog hence felt I would say many thanks -- Jessica
Also visit my weblog :: bespoke garden design

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home