Monday, January 02, 2012


There are few things that I enjoy more than reading a book that I can’t put down. Such was the case with “The Night Circus” and it was by sheer luck that I was reading it. It was on display at our little library and I chose it simply because I loved the illustration on the cover !

This is a debut novel for Erin Morgenstern and I was blown away by her imagination. It was a challenge to keep up with it at times but that just made it more interesting.

Basically the plot revolves around magicians Prospero the Enchanter and Mr. A H who have been competitors for years. They hatch a bizarre plan involving a duel between two young magicians who they plan to train. They call it a “game” and little do their students know that the only way their instructors will crown a winner is when one of the two has died.

At the center of the novel is Le Cirque de Reves, the night circus. It is a traveling circus that arrives without warning in fields around the world. The tents and interior sections are all in black and white and admittance is only between the hours of dusk and dawn. This becomes the unusual setting that serves as the dueling ground for Marco the orphan and Prospero’s beautiful daughter Celia.

This is just a brief synopsis of “The Night Circus” and it leaves out all the imaginative sub-plots; but I hope it’s enough to whet your appetite.

Here’s the author, Erin Morgenstern:



It looks like she’s taking off on her own magical journey and I can’t wait to see where her imagination will take us next !

11 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

This is fascinating and more than I already knew about the book, even though I've been waiting for it through my library system for weeks. I am up to number two on the list right now, so maybe within a few weeks I'll have it in my hands to read. Thanks for that picture of the artist, which is imaginative in itself.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sounds weird. Are you sure?

5:41 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Thanks for the review. I read lots of first time novelists. All the biggies were first time at one time.
Will look for this one.

4:47 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Too bad magic declined in much of the world. Or is it that humans just don't recognize it anymore. Your book sounds interesting and puts me in mind of "The Illusionist" or "Ruby in the North."

6:35 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

She looks like Mary Poppins. I'm not sure about this one for me, Ginnie. But I did watch the Prestige which was good.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Well Ginnie that sounds just a bit too far out there for me! But I am a fan of non-fiction so what do I know?! I've always been a firm believer in the saying "Truth is stranger than fiction". Happy New Year to you!! Love Di ♥

4:46 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Well this sounds like a fun read for those times when I just have to read something NOT serious and non-fiction. But I will visit amazon to find it... no waiting list for me.
Thanks for sharing!

12:18 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Thanks for the tip. I will look for that one. Maybe our book club would like it.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

What a treat to find a very imaginative book by a first time author. I will look for it the next time I am in town.

Happy New Year!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, what a coincidental post as a friend recently suggested this book that she had just read and enjoyed as much as you did. It's in our local library system so I will look for it once we're back home. How nice that the author replied to your note too.

4:59 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

I will have to check this out. How wonderful to hear from the author.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home