Thursday, December 01, 2011

WHOSE AMERICAN DREAM ??


I don’t watch much TV and carry just the basic cable in order to see the latest news and, of course, JEOPARDY ! So, when I was recently in a place that offered over 20 stations I decided to see what I’d been missing. Now I’m happier than ever that I don’t waste my time and money on the garbage that is clogging the airways.

I specifically recall an interview with a man named Simon Cowell. He was taking us on a camera tour of his $12 million-dollar home in Beverly Hills. I’d never heard of the man and gathered, from his attitude, that he would be shocked to know that there was one person alive who actually didn't know his name. When asked how it felt to live in that grandiose house he grinned and said, “I’m just living the American dream”. I wanted to reach into the screen and choke him.

To my way of thinking he epitomizes the ego and greed that is rampant world-wide nowadays… “give me more, more and more and to Hell with those left in my wake.”

On a happier note I heard Hugh Jackman interviewed too and was uplifted to hear that he’s created a charity coffee shop in New York which will raise money for good causes. He said he’d been greatly influenced by Paul Newman and wanted to emulate him. (The “Newman’s Own” brands have yielded almost a quarter of a billion dollars ($250,000,000) for a ton of worthwhile causes and those numbers continue to grow.)

I know that there are others like Jackman and Newman but they are the exception. Just imagine what our world would be like if that elite club of the world’s wealthiest could forego that 2nd yacht or a trip to Abu Dhabi and put the money where it would help someone besides themselves? Now that’s what I’d be happy to call “the American dream.”

9 Comments:

Blogger atomic momma said...

Oh you are so true! We are in our 40s and have a seven year old boy. We don't watch half the channels and I think we are going to cancel all the cable. This post pushed us one step closer!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This bothers me too, but I guess the famous do probably need sort sort of insulation. The question is how much is enough.

5:01 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Amen, Ginnie. And for the record, Simon is an ass.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, I could not agree with you more. TV is a vast wasteland and time-waster. The same goes for those celebrity-type magazines. As a nation, Americans seem fascinated by the "rich & famous." If only more of these celebrities would use their wealth for good vs. self-gratification, the world might be a better place. We do not subscribe to any TV services, our TV is for movie viewing. When we travel or go to the local "Y" I turn on TV and then turn it off.

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Big John said...

My dream is to win the 'Euro Millions' lottery, so that I can give it all away to good causes. Well nearly "all" of it anyway.

BTW .. Simon Cowell is British as far as I know, and is responsible for producing some of the worst trash 'reality shows' on TV at the moment.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

The nouveau riche are particularly obnoxious. I don't know when "conspicuous consuption" became the American Dream.

my friend Lynne is a great admirer of Paul Newman. When I told her that I knew him a little when I live in Connecticut, my stock went up.

I admire those that who have wealth and are great social stewarts of it. It is telling that often the very wealthy become philanthropists near the end of their lives in order to secure their "legacy".

10:47 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Simon Cowell? Who is he? Guess I am glad I don't know since Kenju says he is an ass. I know enough of them already!
I have an antenna, when the weather is perfect and all the stars are in alignment, I can get 9 channels, 5 of them PBS, one in Spanish. On bad days, I can get maybe 2. I really don't care, but I do like Brit Wit and NOVA. However, I get a kick out of The Big Bang Theory. Otherwise, I go to my room with a book.

I wonder how many versions of the American Dream are out there? Lets see, how many Americans are there?

Hope you are feeling better!

1:05 PM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Paul Newman was my hero. I am happy to hear someone is following his lead. Of course Robert Redford has been doing so for years too. Dianne

9:58 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Simon Cowell is a jack ass. There are good people out there who do give and help others. Because of you, we now give to Kiva. We are passing it on to help others. We give to a lot of charities locally. We are not super wealthy but believe in giving back. If each of us does that, just a little money to some worthy cause, we can make the world a better place.

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home