Sunday, November 20, 2011

Gift giving …



When my close friend, her significant-other and their two dogs returned recently from a 6 week road trip in their camper they came bearing gifts. This was not unusual since they are both “givers” and have generous spirits.

What really got me thinking, however, was the fact that the gifts were polar opposites in feeling but they were both bought with me in mind. Did this mean that they saw me in dissimilar ways? Did I perhaps treat them differently or was I just reading way too much into this simple act of giving.

The first gift came from my friend Bonnie who is like a sister to me. She brought me this gorgeous pottery vase from Taos, New Mexico, with a raised pueblo village etched on the front.



She told me she’d chosen this because it would remind me of my sister Mary who lived there years ago. I also felt that she’d bought this for me because she knew it was my taste…an elegant work of art suited to my love of beauty. Very nice, I thought, she’s pegged me perfectly.

But wait … here comes her significant-other, Bill, with a pixyish grin on his face… and look what he brought.



It’s a Whirligig Chicken and I love it too !! Nothing elegant about this little guy but obviously chosen because it depicts the silly, immature side of me and I have to admit that he pegged me correctly there too.

So what does this prove in the great scheme of things ? Nothing really, except that maybe it’s nice to have friends who can see all sides of you and still love you enough to bring gifts !!

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's a very happy, funky chicken. Gifts also express something of the giver.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Also it is good that they do not see you as one demensional. Quite flattering I'd say.

4:34 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Both gifts are swell. What thoughtful friends you have. Patti is correct. Good to have a few dimensions in the personality. Dianne

7:46 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

You have some nice friends Ginnie and I liked both gifts. Maybe the vase a bit more! But it's true, there are many sides to all of us. You are fortunate to have friends that can see more than one!
Love Di ♥

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Until I had to tell everyone to stop, chickens were their gifts to bring, since I collect them.
But I love your vase, because my husband is from NM and that is my favorite place to go. You have very thoughtful friends.

12:42 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I love both of the gifts!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

How fortunate to be so delighted in gifts that were obviously well chosen, Ginnie.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Great gifts, Ginnie. I like them. We are multi-faceted as humans. Have a great Thanksgiving. Wishing you many blessings.

4:20 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

Wonderful gifts and they have got me thinking about how we should all celebrate the many "sides" of ourselves as well as others.
Who wants to be monochromatic???

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home