Saturday, October 29, 2011

Aunt Emma’s Halloween “Treat” …


I introduced you to my great Aunt Emma in my last blog entry, and since Halloween is just around the corner, I thought you might enjoy this story about her too.

As I mentioned Aunt Emma was a very frugal New Englander and she lived a simple life; but she did have one passion that I was aware of. She loved gardening, in all it’s forms. Her vegetable garden took up most of the back lawn and she harvested enough from that to last her through the winter.

Her showpiece, however, was at the front of her house. That was where she planted her roses. They took up most of the small front lawn and were separated from the sidewalk by an evergreen hedge that she kept neatly trimmed.

The story goes that the morning after Halloween Aunt Emma walked out front to find that her rose bushes and the hedge border had been completely smothered in toilet paper. A lesser person might have been upset by this but she took it in stride.

She came outside with a wooden dowel and preceded to wind the paper around it. The boys had used at least three rolls to cover her foliage so she had a huge ball when she was done…enough to last a long time and it was FREE!

I’m sure this wasn’t the result that the little Halloween Hooligans were looking for but it must have made the day for Aunt Emma.

12 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's a good lesson in taking things in stride.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

What a funny story. Are you mending okay?

4:08 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Your Aunt Emma sounds like a thrifty old gal. There are many of them any more.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Now this is what I call frugality. I probably would have ripped it off the roses and tossed it in the compost pile.

A back yard garden is a swell thing if you have enough sun. I had a 1/2 acre vegetable garden once and put up enough preserves for 5 of us to last a winter. No sun now so I am into shade gardening which means no veggies. Sniff.

PS Love the stories about Aunt Emma

7:04 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I love your Aunt Emma. She must have been quite the woman.

4:30 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Well, I see I meant to say there are NOT many of them any more...

7:12 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

The ultimate in recycling!!

9:36 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Aunt Emma did well Ginnie. Hope you are feeling better yourself. It's good to read your posts.

5:22 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Great story! I love your Aunt Emma. She would have been a great neighbor.
Thinking of you - hoping you are mending well.

4:47 AM  
Anonymous Big John said...

I hope that she brushed all the bugs off.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

My husband had a cousin that used to save it also. I just don't know that I could do it. But I enjoyed the story Ginnie, anyone who loves to garden is alright with me!
Love Di ♥

12:55 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

That is too funny. I have to marvel at Aunt Emma.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home