Saturday, November 05, 2011

1937 … the Lee girls with Grandpa and Grandma



That’s me, the littlest of all the Lee girls, squeezed onto the running board of my Grandfather’s new car. My Grandmother, and sister of my great Aunt Emma, peers out of the back window.

This picture was taken in Brattleboro, Vt., where they lived and, although I certainly can’t remember that day, I can remember the sights and smells quite well.

Grandpa’s hobby was woodworking and I loved to watch him at work in his shop located just off the kitchen. Wondrous toys, furniture and bric-a-brac seemed to miraculously spring from his agile fingers as he turned the wood lathe. And the smell of new sawn shavings was delectable.

His main job, however, was as a salesperson for the Estey Organ Company and he traveled far and wide throughout New England in his beloved car promoting and selling their product. Here is a picture of the type of organ that he sold, an Estey Reed Organ, Circa 1927:



Although my Grandfather was fairly reserved in his home the stories abound about his travels on the road … his cap perched jauntily on his head and his windows open to catch the air. I would love to have been a silent partner on those trips!

9 Comments:

Blogger izzy said...

What a great photo of you and the family! thanks-

7:56 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

My Dad traveled a lot and took me with him much of the time. I saw a lot of the US. Too bad you couldn't travel with your Grandpa.

You look like a real cutie. Don't you miss the running boards on cars? They made it easy to step inside.

Sorry for all the typos in my comments. I hate it when I see them, but my excuse is that I failed typing and can't see as well as I once did. Dianne.

2:41 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

what a wonderful photo to have! I wish I could get it to enlarge. That organ is a beauty.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What wonderful memories and photos you have again shared with us, Ginnie.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This is yet another of Ginnie's oh so neat memories. Cheers.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Wow, that organ was something else. The detail, amazing. I wonder how many he sold and how much they went for? Loved the old photo Ginnie.
Love Di ♥

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Big John said...

Now why am I reminded of the movie ... "Paper Moon" ? ... Granpa the salesman ? No .. The car ? No .. It must be the little girl's haircut ! :-)

7:36 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

The first car I remember seeing had a running board! And my grandma had a pump organ similar to that one. This post takes me back.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I love those old cars and the smell of a wood working shop!

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home