Wednesday, December 21, 2011

MY KIND OF GIFT …



All of my friends know that I am a big supporter of KIVA, the organization that gives micro loans to budding entrepreneurs all over the world. So, I was thrilled, but not surprised, when I received this great gift.

It is (as you can read) a donation to World Vision and is a share in buying two oxen and a plow for a needy family. My friend, (whose husband is a career officer in the Special Forces and has recently returned from Afghanistan) knows the cumulative value of giving donations to those less fortunate.

I had not heard of World Vision but, knowing my friend as I do, I am sure that she checked out the legitimacy of the organization before making it her choice. I find that it is a Christian relief organization and is one of the largest in the world. They operate in more than 90 countries and have been active since 1977. “Right now, around the world, they are working in partnership with more than 100 million people in their struggle against poverty, hunger and injustice, irrespective of their religious beliefs.”

I may be naïve; but I think it would be a different world if we all gave in the same manner.

MERRY CHRISTMAS !

7 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

I now give to Kiva because of you. I looked up other organizations but was put off by the Christian focus. I guess I don't want to think about a bunch of preaching and converting rather than concentrating on the real problems of hunger and health. So I give to Doctors without Borders--a really worthy cause IMO. Thanks Ginnie for inspiring me to give more.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think World Vision has been around long enough to have established itself as quite reputable.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

What a wonderful idea. I will check them out. Thank you.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

I think these micro loans are the greatest thing to happen in a long time. Thanks for the update on the charity. Dianne

8:49 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I couldn't agree more! We give to Heifer, which seems to be similar to World Vision. When our daughter was five we gave chickens in our her name. When my husband told her, she ran outside and wanted to know where her flock of chickens were.

Like Syd, our biggest charity gifts always go to Doctors Without Borders.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Oh Ginnie, you are not naieve at all! We also give to many charities, and we know it is received by those that we give it to. Not just the purse of some big organisation with massive buildings and people who try to rally up donations for a wage. It does feel good, and I believe that if we do give to others, and help in this way (as in setting up farming in communities- or water bores where there is no running water) then it sure is inspiring to keep on giving.
We feel so fortunate to be able to give too.
Please take care this season, and know you are in my thoughts alot of times during my day to day activities. I know I have not been around of late. I promise I am still here :)

10:20 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Giving to a favored charity is the best gift of all. We did the same this year, Ginnie. Merry Christmas to you from Grenville and myself.

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home