Friday, December 09, 2011

HARRY MORGAN … 1915 - Dec. 7, 2011




Somehow it seems fitting that Harry Morgan died on Dec. 7th. Although “Mash” was set in the Korean War (not Pearl Harbor) his portrayal of the beloved Colonel Sherman Potter was the epitome of the best that a serviceman can be in wartime.

I remember him too as the sidekick of Jack Webb in “Dragnet”. That was a favorite of my husbands and mine in the late 60’s.

When I heard the news that he’d died I was surprised at how much it affected me… I guess it seemed like he would be with us forever. As a good friend wrote to me, “I think we can both feel a sense of loss for a wonderful actor … someone who was a part of our life.”

But then I read that he’d had a full and varied life for 96 years and I realized, instead of grieving, that I should celebrate that. I think if I am honest what I was really feeling was an awareness that as I grow older the losses will become more frequent.

So, thank you, Harry, for all the countless hours of entertainment that you’ve given to me and to others and for making me aware that I need to treasure every hour of every day that is left !

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

To me, he's Colonel Potter. He certainly lived to a ripe old age.

6:44 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

AMEN!! I remember him in both shows and he gave us countless hours of pleasure and fun.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Big John said...

He appeared in so many films that we used to just say ... "It's him again". One of those many great actors who never quite became "a star".

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Arlene said...

We appreciated his talents and we will miss him.
Yeah! Harry!--Congratulations on a life well-lived.

2:22 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I first remember Harry Morgan as Pete Porter on "December Bride." He brought great character to every role he played.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Ain't it the truth. Somehow, we think of these actors as timeless and omnipotent!! Silly us.

I liked Colonel Potter too. He was the voice of sanity in the midst of a weird situation. I didn't watch Mash all the way to the end of the series, but I loved Dragnet with Jack Webb.

9:19 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Yep, Col Potter... Just recently I decided to buy a few seasons of MASH... I picked the seasons with when Col Potter arrived... I liked MASH because I could identify with hating war. But I am shocked at the alcohol consumption I did not notice when I was younger!
Morgan somehow fit in perfectly with that bunch even tho he was a career soldier.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, I too recall the Dragnet days and also MASH. A fine actor, Mr. Morgan and a life well and long-lived.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

MASH was as good as it gets. He seemed to have been made better because of that program--according to an interview that I heard.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home