Friday, January 06, 2012

HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE ????



Chapel Hill, NC … “UNC hires Larry Fedora as new football coach.
The school's trustees approved a seven-year contract worth more than $1.7 million annually for the coach to become the permanent replacement for Butch Davis.”



Chapel Hill, NC … “UNC approves $2,800 tuition increases. It took the Board of Trustees less than an hour … to approve tuition and fee increases for all UNC students. It took even less time for the Board … to completely ignore students’ concerns.”

So, once again, the 1% reigns supreme, even in our colleges where the students (WHO ARE THE FUTURE OF AMERICA) struggle to meet their financial obligations.

The standard answer to justify this disparity is that athletic funds are separate from academic funds.

Really????… and why is that ???? It beats me.

*************************************************************************************
On a happier note and concerning my last blog entry ... I thought you might be interested to know that Erin Morgenstern, the author of "The Night Circus" sent me this email after I wrote and told her how much I enjoyed her book.
Dear Virginia, I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the book! It is indeed my first novel and it's amazing that the response has been so strong. I am working on another when I have time (which isn't as often as I'd like!) so eventually there will be a second novel, I'm just not sure how long it will take.
I hope all is well with you and happy new year!
Cheers, Erin

8 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

College football continues to be one of those places where we demonstrate what we really think of academics. Coaches earn obscene salaries compared to college professors.
Of course, that tends to mirror society's values--athletes earn way more than artists.

4:52 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

It makes sense only because the really big donors (i.e., the 1%) are more concerned with sports than with academics or affordability of an education at a State university. Oh, they might endow a chair now and then, but the big bucks are given to the athletics department.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You ask a good question, and I have no answer. College sport is kept quite amateurish in Canada. There are no scholarships AFAIK. But then, our tuition is lower.

1:18 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I am sick of college sports and the business it has become.

How nice to get a note from the author!!

5:24 PM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Always lovely to hear from an author I think.

Re the 1%. The Post ran an article that said, compared to the rest of the world, all Americans are in the 1%. I mostly have litttle sympathy for whining Americans. Dianne

11:21 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Hate to break this to you, but in the times of budget crunches in the public school systems music and art teachers are let go of first - unless there is a band to play at the football games... then they keep a band director. In some systems, they have even let librarians go before PE or coaches who get paid extra because of all the after school hours they have to work. It doesn't matter if they don't teach all day and only show up after school to coach - they still get paid more. The money earned at the gate goes to pay for the equipment. Remember, I am talking high school, not college level... and I know for a fact that grades get changed to make students elegible to play sports.
it is sad that entertainment is more important than anything else.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

How nice that she emailed you back Ginnie! As for the college tuition. I just heard recently that student loan amounts have now surpassed credit card debt in America. It's a shame. But I suppose football is more important!! Love Di ♥

5:31 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I dislike football and think that the Penn. State mess indicates that there needs to be a re-thinking of the significance of college athletics. Is a coach really that much more important than students or the professors who work for fairly meagre salaries? In my mind not. The emphasis that we place in our society is very telling.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home