Monday, January 23, 2012

“GOOD to the LAST DROP”


The “Good to the Last Drop” slogan to advertise Maxwell House Coffee started in 1917 and continues even to this day, although they recently unveiled a new campaign touting “Good Just Got Great”… but why would this be of sufficient interest that I’d write a blog entry about it? Well here’s why:

I never hear those words, “Good to the Last Drop” without thinking of my father. It was in the 40’s and our whole family would gather 'round the big wooden radio in the living room to listen to our favorite shows like “Maxwell House Coffee Time”, better known as the “Burns and Allen Show”. We never missed an episode which always began with Gracie Allen saying "Another cup of Maxwell House coffee, George?" and George Burns replying, "Sure. Pour me a cup, Gracie."

Maxwell House was also the sponsor of the radio version of “Father Knows Best“. Each episode began with the youngest daughter Kitten asking, "Mother, is Maxwell House really the best coffee in the whole world?" to which her mother would reply, "Well, your father says so, and Father Knows Best!"

And I always thought that MY father knew what was best too, so, to this day every time I hear the words “good to the last drop” I recall his chuckle and the way he’d say “WHAT’S WRONG WITH THE LAST DROP???”

13 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

I had to read your father's quip twice--then I got it.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Now that is funny and I never thought about that poor lonely "last drop".
Write Maxwell house and suggest they change it to "Good through the last drop."

6:54 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

Fun read here, Ginnie.
Wasn't listening to the radio marvelous?? Oh, the memories.
Thanks.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

That gave me a giggle too Ginnie! I've never thought of it as your father did, I love it though!
Love Di ♥

10:19 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

I never thought about that either. What is wrong with the last drop? Patti has a good idea.

Worrying about that last drop, we switched to Newman's Own brand.

Dianne

1:21 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I remember those commercials and the Burns and Allen show. We never missed them. I still drink Maxwell House often.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I learn so much form you. I never knew that Father Knows Best was a radio program.

2:11 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

My Grandpa said the very same thing. He always drank Maxwell House piping hot.

4:28 PM  
Blogger P.N. Subramanian said...

Very interesting. The Radio does bring back the past vividly. We fry and grind our coffee beans at home.

3:46 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, it was fun reading this post especially since I just watched several episodes of the televised Father Knows Best show which recently became available for online viewing Netflix.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I remember the commercial of Good to the Last Drop. Brings back memories.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there trevor sorry iv took so long this is the link
and details, they have a deal on at the mo , mention micky heemson give you there number

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you ok tony i got it from a mate so here is there site
filling address ,check out there great prices , mention mart give you there number

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home