Friday, August 28, 2009

Stranger than fiction … BUSCAPADES (Part 2)



And here’s my mother’s bus tale: (remember this was the 1940’s and Dr’s visits were very different than they are today.)

“I had been having some difficulty and when I called the Dr. his nurse gave me an appointment the next day and told me to be sure to bring in a urine sample.

I found that I didn’t have anything in which to transport the urine and then I remembered the ornate perfume bottle that I had kept because I loved the shape. It had a very secure stopper and I thought it would be perfect. I washed it out thoroughly and was very pleased with myself. I figured I could get the bottle back after the contents were tested at the doctor‘s office.

The next day I got ready to leave and, after I’d filled the bottle, I was quite amused to see how much the urine actually resembled the color of most perfumes. I put the bottle in a paper bag and set out to catch the bus. I was surprised to see that the bus was already at the stop and I had to run in order to not miss it. I was quite flustered by this as I would have been late for my doctor’s appointment if I‘d had to wait for the next bus.

However it all worked out and I made it to the Dr’s on time The only problem was, in my hurry, I’d left the paper bag with the filled bottle on the bus !!

At first I was devastated. I’d really loved that little perfume bottle, not to mention the fact that I no longer had my urine sample. When I told my sad tale, however, the Dr. and his nurse broke out laughing. It was then that I saw the humor in it too.

I’ve always wondered where that bottle ended up. I have visions of a young man in love coming across that “find” and being thrilled to have something of such value to give to his beloved !

I hope she was understanding …”

9 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

Oh Ginnie this story was hysterical. My imagination was going wild as I envisioned someone sampling the supposed fragrance! I can just see the look on said persons face!
Love Di

1:05 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Oh. My. Lord!!! What a story! I really do wish we knew what happened to it, Ginnie. That's the stuff movies are made of.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ginnie, that story was too funny!

I can visulize it...

Thanks for making me smile.
Hugs,
Sue

4:48 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

OMG, I am sure that you appreciate the humour in this story as much as I do as we are both nurses by nature. That WAS unreal! I often state that I hae a "sample of apple juice coming through" when I am pushing the send button on the automatic delivery system at work to pathology lab. Haha.

5:26 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Well, I was going to start out--oh, Ginnie, that's hysterical--but Diana beat me to it.
Very funny story. Hmmmm-wonder who found the bottle?

7:05 PM  
Blogger RoyalTLady said...

Ginnie you certainly managed a smile alone from me...

Hihihihihi!!! There goes the beautiful perfume bottle... but you haven't actaully lost it...it's already in this blog. So everyone has seen it.

I can't imagine a guy "breaking up" because of "that" with his girl friend... LOL!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's hilarious. Thanks for making this rainy morning brighter.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Uh Oh

I can just see someone stealing the "perfume" either using it or giving it to his lady friend.

Eau De Skunk

5:57 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Great one Ginnie. I can imagine a dab or two of that at the pressure points.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home