Sunday, August 23, 2009

Stranger than fiction … BUSCAPADES (Part 1)



In the mid 1940’s my four sisters and I were all still living at home. We lived in Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts & were one of the few families there that never had a car. Thus it was that we often traveled by bus and it’s also where my parents had their “bus escapades”, as we came to call them. They each had one and here’s Dad’s…

“I was on the bus from Boston to Framingham and at our first stop a very inebriated man came aboard. He stumbled along and collapsed into an aisle seat, promptly falling asleep. Not only was his condition dire but the fact that he was sprawled there with his fly wide open made it even more embarrassing for us all.

In no time the bus was full and it became standing room only. At this point an attractive, middle-aged woman came aboard. She was dressed to the “t’s”, complete with hat and long white gloves and it was her misfortune to be standing directly above the drunk.

I guess she didn’t want to soil her gloves so she carefully started to remove them. A jounce of the bus and she lost hold of her glove. She watched in horror as it floated down and landed on the crotch of the sleeping drunk. What to do?

She was about to make her move when the driver called out in a loud voice “Newton center next stop”. This must have been the man’s destination because he jerked awake and started to gather himself. Looking down he noticed both the white glove and the fact that his fly was open. Probably in his hazy state he figured it was his T-shirt so he shoved it in to his pants, zipped up and staggered his way down the aisle and off the bus at the next stop.

The poor woman was out a glove and we all had a good laugh; but, the thing that I couldn’t help but wonder was …

How do you explain that to your wife ???”

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Thanks for the buscapade. I wonder how the rest of the story went.

7:34 PM  
Blogger RoyalTLady said...

Ginnie,

Haven't seen you for quite a while now.

How he explained? Not a problem:
Before he got home, he visited the public loo and as soon as he was ready for his "business", the gloves fell into the "unfortunate" bowl which he never noticed.

Hihihihi...

8:32 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Oooh, a nice chuckle for me tonight!! I bet he had a horrible time at home trying to explain that!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Hi Ginnie,
How funny and how embarresing on both ends! Great story.
Love Di

4:13 AM  
Blogger Bernie said...

Hi Ginnie, I popped over from Diana and Anvilcloud's post and I am so happy I did.
Love your post and had such a chuckle over the "white glove" too funny!
I will be back soon to catch up on other post okay.....:-) Hugs

11:19 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Absolutely a funny story. Too bad that she lost her glove.

7:31 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Toooooooooooooo funny!
My old auntie (she would be 103 if she were alive) used to wear her gloves EVERYWHERE. She would never have taken her gloves off on a bus. I can't imagine doing it, but it sure made one funny story!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Oh Ginnie. thanks for the belly laugh. You describe the episode so well I could swear I was there. :)

anyone seen a white glove ?

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home