Wednesday, July 08, 2009

…but, where are the tomatoes ??


I have friends who have been very successful growing herbs and vegetables in pots, so I decided I would try my luck this year.

Here are my 6 tomato plants. I bought them when they were just 5” tall and the seller assured me that they would bear delicious tomatoes. Now it is 4 weeks later and look what I have…four pots with tall shoots of green leaves. Growth is a reality but not a tomato in sight…or even the hope of one.

My brother-in-law (who is a VERY successful gardener) stopped by about two weeks ago and he warned me that the plants were not getting enough sun. “They will get very leggy”, he said … and was he ever right ! But I still believed that I’d get a tomato or two. That hope is getting dimmer and dimmer.

I have no place that is in direct sun at my house because of all the tall trees, so I guess I‘ll just enjoy the foliage. It looks like I’ll have to go to the Farmer’s Market if I want any “home grown” tomatoes.

8 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

Your brother in law is exactly right. I looked at your photo--and thought, where's the sun.
At least 6 to 8 hours of sun a DAY!
No place at all with direct sun?

3:24 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Put them out next to the road, Ginnie! LOL

9:13 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Maybe they "get leggy" to go find the sun?" I am not sure.
I'd be putting your brother on speed dial in future :)

12:38 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

They do look rather leggy -- which is grand on a whole different type of tomato. Sorry. I can't help myself sometimes. I really do find my humour humourous. Sadly ...

5:54 PM  
Blogger RoyalTLady said...

I am also new with tomato planting...just started in May and they are just starting to flower... I don't know whether they are going to survive long enough for us to see them bearing fruits...

Would certainly update you with my tomato plants the next time new happenings taking place...

They look so neat...
Cheers.

1:29 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Ginnie, get them in a sunny spot if at all possible. Also remove the new growth (called suckers) between the larger main stems. There is information on how to do this on line. I pinch off those new secondary shoots. It makes a more vigorous plant with not so many branches. Container gardening is easy and fun.

7:16 AM  
Blogger possum said...

My place is real shady, too - but I do get tomatoes - just a lot later than everybody else. And maybe I don't get as many, but they are good when they get here and by then, most everyone else's have finished! I have tomatoes that come up all by themselves in my compost spot which is 100% shade. They will produce until the first frost, long after the others have died back.
Hang in there.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Tomatoes here are always difficult because of our short growning season. It seems every second year I try to push the season by planting a week or two too soon and end up losing plants to a killer frost. I replant and then settle for getting a few ripe ones and lots of green ones come the end of the season, mid-September.
Fried green tomatoes anyone! Luckily, there are a few things you can do with the green ones. Also they can be rippened indoors but are not as tasty.

You could put your tomato plants under grow lights. Any tomatoes would then be expensive to grown.

Better find a local farmer to buy some from.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home