Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My “OVER THE MANTEL” Mural


I wish I could say that this painting is an original by me but it’s actually a copy of one that I saw in an old magazine. I loved the colors, the subject and the design so I decided to use it in my living room.

The magazine didn’t give credit to the artist so I couldn’t ask for permission to reproduce it. I’m hoping that since I am not using it commercially that it will be OK. Also, I couldn’t photograph the picture straight on since I kept getting glare spots when I did.

What I thought might be of interest to some of you was how I transposed it to my wall. I actually used the old grid trick. I folded the original picture until it formed 24 small squares. Then it was easy to enlarge it to scale and then fill in the individual squares.

After I painted the picture directly on the wall I used a decorative molding to frame it and I was done.

As my blogger friend Phillip wrote to me: “It is interesting to paint on walls and furniture. The Canadian primitive artist, Maude Lewis painted all the surfaces of her shack she lived in. It has been preserved as a work of art.”

I had never heard of Maude Lewis and was fascinated by her story. I know that my “little shack” will never be preserved as a work of art but it’s lots of fun and it keeps me out of trouble !!

7 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--your creativity never ceases to amaze me.
I would call the painting you emulated primitive in style, also.
Well done.

1:55 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Ginnie, that is a wonderful copy (and personalized a bit)!! I knew about the grid, but I didn't think about folding something to get the grid. How ingenious!! And how nice to be living with your art work!!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Nice job. And I would say that whatever you copy for your own personal use is just fine and dandy. Mind you, I don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems right to me.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Wonderful mural Ginnie. You have so much talent. I like the grid idea. Never painted a mural so it makes sense to use that.

7:47 AM  
Blogger RoyalTLady said...

I like it. It looks so structured and disciplined. Neat work.

...thanks for dropping by my blog.

2:12 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

This is a lovely scene in a primitive style. It must be by a well know artist. I spend a hour on the Internet to see if I could identify it, to no avail.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Bud said...

wow Ginny, that is fabulous!!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home