Friday, May 15, 2009

MOTHER, DAD, GRANDPA and GRANDMA, 1940



This two generation picture was taken in West Brattleboro, Vt. in 1940. My Mother and Dad were enjoying a rare moment alone with my maternal grandparents.

Our family, by this time, consisted of 5 little girls, of which I was the youngest, and it was rare indeed for us to be separated from Mother & Dad. We were living in Plainfield, NJ at that time but we were able to get to Vermont on a few special occasions. This was quite an ordeal because we didn’t own a car and had to make the journey by train.

My grandparents home was not large and usually my parents would stay there and we five would be parceled out to friends and relatives. We were with our cousins when this picture was taken. They lived nearby in a large farm-type colonial located in the center of West Brattleboro.

I remember that big white house and, in particular, the bedroom where I was to stay for this particular trip. I had been assigned to the lower bunk of a two-tier bed and it was here that I left my little suitcase and my other treasures. I knew they would be safe there.

To be honest I don’t remember much about that trip except for what happened the first night that I slept in that room. Being the youngest of the clan I’m sure that I was the first to be put to bed. I’m also sure I rebelled and I probably tried my darndest to stay awake...but sleep overtook me and I drifted off.

The next thing I remember was being attacked by a wild animal. The room was black as pitch and my screams just made the unknown attacker more frenzied. I was flailing my arms and trying to protect my head when my cousin finally turned on the light. She was shaking me and trying to figure out why I was screaming. As I started to calm down I noticed a large cat sitting on the foot of my bed. He seemed to have a sly, “gotcha”, smirk on his feline face and I realized that this was my “wild animal”.

Of course my cousin explained it all. The "innocent" cat sleeping with her and then jumping down from the top bunk and landing squarely on me, scaring me out of my wits.

Did I buy that? Not on your life...that cat was out to get me and his big Cheshire smile proved it!

4 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

She probably threw the cat on you! I had cousins that like to tease me when I was small, and they didn't have the opportunity to do anything like this - but it was their style!

5:06 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Any photo of multiple generations is priceless.
One of the advantages of the larger families of yore was being parceled out to cousins (with or without cats). I have many fond memories of cousin interactions--my mom was one of 8 children, so there were cousins to spare.

9:13 AM  
Blogger possum said...

I had a bunch of wonderful cousins - and one who would have thrown the family cat on me as I slept. I guess every family has a bully... But, like you, we all have wonderful memories of our early years minus one or 2 scary ones...
Fun post. Glad the wild animal didn't do you any harm!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

What an awesome picture to look back on! And an extra terrifying story with that Cheshire cat! I wonder...would your cousin have dropped him onto you per chance?

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home