Monday, April 27, 2009

LOOK WHAT I FOUND ON MY FRONT PORCH !!


I almost never come into my house by the front door. I have a nice wide porch that spans the width of the house and, over the winter, I would sweep it occasionally but that’s about it.

I guess you could say that I have a “back door house” and friends and family normally enter by way of the deck. That’s why it was a complete surprise for me to come across this sweet scene.

I decided it was time for a “Spring cleaning” outside, now that the pollen seems to have abated, and I started out front. With broom in hand I approached the porch and started to move the furniture before sweeping. I noticed that a bunch of leaves seemed to have blown together on top of a 3-tier wrought iron piece where I usually put fresh flowers in season.

Imagine my surprise when I tried to move it and a startled little Carolina Wren flew out. She had been protecting her eggs and I quickly realized it was her nest.

As soon as I took the picture of her nest I left her alone and now I’ve been carefully monitoring the progress. I’ve counted six eggs but no action so far.

I pray that the little ones will be OK but I fear that the nest is too open to temptation. We have a bevy of feral cats that roam the area and I can’t imagine how Mama will protect her babies. Maybe I can rig up a screen type of thing that surrounds the nest but lets her fly in through the top. Any ideas??

12 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

Hmmm--place barriers around the area? Anything to keep feral cats out.
I discovered a mourning dove nest in my flower pots, when I went to plant. So for now, I am leaving that pot alone. And I am carefully supervising my one cat who likes to be outside. She is never out without me anyway. I have had to scold her--she saunters casually over to the potting table, and gets this--who me?--look on her face.

6:48 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I would worry that your efforts would be misinterpreted and she wouldn't come near the nest again.
Birds almost always nest in my porch flowers, whether real or silk. This year, I think I avoided that by not putting them out until last week.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Tis the season. That's the second nest I've found on the blogs this morning.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Ginnie
That is real good luck to have a bird build a nest on your porch.
Sweet photo

Once some years back my husband had left one of his golf caps on a baker's rack in the open garage. A bird built a nest in it and that tickled us.
Then another rime prior to that I had gotten one of those KiaPet thingys of a bald fellow with seed on top. The {hair) seed came in green and plentiful and we left it outside on the same rack. After the grass dried out another bird kept picking the dry grass for a nest.

:)

9:57 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

How gorgeous! That is just such a sweet surprise Ginnie :)

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Teri Elmore said...

Ginnie - I miss those Carolina Wrens so much! What personalities they have. I love most birds but they are definitely in my top 5!

Why don't you contact Weymouth Nature Center in Southern Pines. They should have a good idea.

Fondly remembering December nights on your front porch!

LOVE that new president!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

What a surprise to hear from my good friend Teri. She and her husband moved out West over a year ago and I miss them both.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

What a lovely nest and bird. I hope she raises the whole lot of chicks.

10:28 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

What a neat surprise! I love those friendly little wrens. Hope the nest remains safe and you see lots of fledglings.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Sweet! Good luck with the screening. I would imagine those feral cats would be tenacious.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I hope that they will be okay too. A friend has a nest in his paper box and has left a note to not put the newspaper in there.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We has wrens last year. We got to see the babies leave the nest. It was great fun.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home