Monday, March 30, 2009

SOMEONE CUT OUT THE CROSSWORD PUZZLE !


Growing older doesn't mean that my mental abilities will automatically be decreased. Maintaining an active mind is the key to staving off mind loss and Alzheimer’s, say the experts. With this in mind I have two favorite exercises that I practice every day. The first one is reading.

I listened recently to an authority on sleeplessness and he stated that one should never read in bed. I guess his reasoning was that reading would stimulate the mind and tend to keep the reader awake. It acts precisely the opposite way for me and the last thing I do every night is read a chapter or two. It works better than a sleeping pill.

My second exercise is working a crossword puzzle. I do this in bed also...first the puzzle and then the book. I'm definitely a creature of habit.

I don’t like to think that I have an obsession to working crossword puzzles but an unsolved one, wherever I find it, is definitely a lure. That’s why I had to laugh when I saw this cartoon.

I remember so clearly being stuck in a Doctor’s office, waiting to be worked in and knowing I would be the last patient of the day. I spied the local paper and was comforted by the fact that I could while away the time by doing the crossword puzzle. When I opened the paper and found that the puzzle had been cut out I almost cried with frustration.

Joseph Addison has said, “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body”. I would add crossword puzzles to that. A daily dose of the two of them present me with a mental playground where I can romp to my heart’s content.

8 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Ginnie, I buy thick crossword books from a bookstore; the kind with perforated pages. I carry pages from them with me when I'm going somewhere I might have to wait and I always have something to do!

I read every night, too, and it puts me to sleep as well. I can't do crosswords in bed, though, they keep me awake.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Books can keep me awake sometimes. How many times have I said at midnight that there are only a hundred more pages, so I may as well go for it. My brain doesn't do crosswords well, but at times I do a Sudoku before trying to sleep.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I read in bed too. I agree--better than any pill. After a few pages, I'm zzzzz'ed out.

10:33 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Now that was a mean trick! Shame on whoever cut out that page! The Nerve! I, too, love crosswords, and keep a puzzle book beside my chair... I work on them during commercials. I keep a Sudoku book in the bathroom. And I read in bed. Best and cheapest sleeping pill I can think of!

10:34 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

You remind me so much of my mom in this...

2:40 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I would also add crosswords into that equation Ginnie. I love circle the words also..keeping the brain active is the best thing!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Ginnie
My hubby and I share an interest in crossword puzzles. He usually starts the NYT puzzle and if he gets stuck I try my hand and visa versa. We are proud of ourselves as we actually finished the NYT Saturday's puzzle last week and that is the hardest one of the week Usually on Saturday we just look at it and give up

Cheers

I loved your next post on "Belling the Cat" You write so clearly and interestingly.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Barb@TimeIsShort said...

Just like your Dad, huh, the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree. My family is from Hickory and Asheville. I spent many summers in Hickory and just loved it. It did remind me of Mayberry and when I'd watch the show, I felt a sense of peace and reminder of those summers.

Enjoy your day!

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home