Thursday, February 05, 2009

My License Plate…………FRNDOFBW




My blogger friend Possum wrote recently about her dislike of “vanity license plates”. I posted a comment on her blog, telling her that I had one and that I would explain why in a future blog.
Here’s my explanation.

As many of you know I am a member of Alcoholics Anonymous and have been for almost 20 years. I don’t advertise that fact but I do want to be available if anyone needs my help or wants to learn more about the organization.

Bill Wilson was the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous and the phrase, “are you, by any chance, a friend of BW?” has become the universal way to identify ourselves to other members. My license plate, “FRNDOFBW” is a shortened version and I’ve had many interesting encounters with people who have understood what it means.

Of course I get the usual horn honks and lots of upraised thumbs but I’ve also had a few unforgettable adventures. One of those was when I was on Long Island, in a tremendous bottleneck and totally lost. Traffic was moving very slowly and I noticed a big white truck that had been behind me had edged up to be parallel with my car. The driver motioned for me to roll down my window and when I did he proceeded to tell me that he was in the program and how it had changed his life. When he found out that I was lost he said, “Just get behind me and keep following. I will take you to your destination.” And he did !

Another adventure of note was when I was at a Stop sign waiting for a large vehicle on the main road to turn into the street I was on. I felt like it didn’t have enough maneuvering room so (without looking in my rear view mirror) I backed up. BAM ! I’d hit something and when I got out to look I was aghast to see that it was a Sheriff’s car. You can imagine how I felt!

The Sheriff’s deputy turned out to be a really nice guy. He had seen that I was trying to give the other driver a little more room, and, since there was no damage, he didn’t charge me with anything. “Just be sure to look in your mirror next time”, he said.

I was getting back in to my car when he added, “By the way I’m curious. What does your license plate mean?” When I told him he said that he was a great fan of AA. “I’ve seen many of the driver’s that I’ve stopped turn their lives around with the aid of that organization,” he said.

Then he proceeded to chuckle and he asked me if I’d been aware of what I hit when I backed into his car? I guess I looked bewildered because he pointed to the front grille and to the sign that was affixed to it. The placard read, “BOOZE IT & LOSE IT”



“Now you’ll have a good story to tell the next time that you go to one of those meetings”, said the deputy and I agreed. I’ve told it often and it never fails to get a big laugh.

7 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--great story about a meeting of license plates! Your backing into a sheriff's car is too funny.
I think your having a so-called vanity plate is entirely understandable. And it makes for opportunity to convey a good message.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

That's a great story Ginnie. I think that it's wonderful how people in the fellowship of AA and Al-Anon look out for each other. If I see that plate, then I'll be sure to honk and wave.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

A couple of cute encounters as a result of your vanity plate. I would never have figured it out as I have always been a non drinker, no liquid charm for me!

3:51 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I wondered about your plate the day we met, but I forgot to ask you about it. My plate says Tickle, which is the first word of the name of my business - Tickle Your Fancy. I tried to get it 25 years ago, but I had to wait for a little old lady named Tickle to give up the plate before I could have it. I got it about 10 years ago.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Such an amazing story Ginnie!
You know, I was a bit upset here the other night when during an ad break on television there was one advertisement that had the message that drinking is not sociable especially when it turns to violence..and the next ad. right after that one was one for a grocery store who was selling size bottles of wine for 20% off!! Someone has not been planning the ads properly there.

3:34 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

I love this story Ginni. I am so proud of you and all the others who have been helped by AA.
I had a dear brother who could not beat the alcohol addiction and he died at an early age. Such a waste.

8:13 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

You are such a good story teller. Have you thought about putting together a book?

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home