Friday, December 26, 2008

“Vacation From Marriage”



When I was in my impressionable mid-teen years I loved nothing more than going to the movies. One of my favorites was a World War II story set in London. I have tried everything, over the years, to recall the title and finally, with the help of the computer, I was able to do just that.

The film is “Vacation from Marriage” and features Robert Donat and Deborah Kerr. They are a young married couple living in London. The husband, Robert, is a lackluster accountant and his wife, Catherine, is a slovenly housekeeper with a constant cold. They have been married for 5 years and their lives are slowly sinking into nothingness.

With the advent of World War II, Robert is drafted into the Navy. Rather than stay at home Catherine decides to serve also and they spend the next 3 years apart.

I’m sure you can guess what happens. Robert is wounded and falls in love with his nurse and Catherine (who no longer suffers from a cold) has become very attractive and is being pursued by an admirer.

Three years pass before they are reunited at a London restaurant. They are surprised and pleased with the changes that they see in each other. However, it is in both their minds to dissolve the marriage.

The final scene is in their apartment. A bomb has taken out one wall and when Robert enters ...expecting to pick up some of his belongings ...he sees Catherine. She is gazing through the opening in the wall at the devastated city and they talk of the rebuilding of London and what a challenge it will be to bring it back to where it was before the war.

Of course this becomes a metaphor for their own lives and they decide to try to rebuild their life together as well.

OK, so it’s a “Chick-flick”...but it’s a very good one. It was produced and directed by Alexander Korda and written by Clemence Dane, who’s original story won an Academy Award.

(PS: I was disappointed to find that it is not on my Netflix list but I’ll keep trying to find it now that I know the name.)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This movie is posted on YouTube in 11 sections. It's the only way I was able to find this wonderful movie:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=deborah+kerr+vacation+marriage&search_type=&aq=f

This link lists all the 11 different video parts. If this link doesn't work, you can just search "Deborah Kerr vacation from marriage" at the website

5:21 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sounds good. This guy likes many chick flicks.

6:06 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

This is a new one for me--have not heard of this before.
Sounds like the great type of movies once made. It would be too syrupy now, no doubt.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I think that sometimes it helps to have a vacation from marriage, even if it is for just a few days.

5:48 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I need a vacation!! LOL


That sounds like a movie I'd like and mr. kenju loves old movies, so he's sure to like it!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

What isn't on YouTube these days?

Happy Holidays!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Sounds like an interesting movie. Life experience can transform people. Be apart and being transformed is much more believeable that being together and being transformed.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I love this flick, and I also loved anything with Robert Mitchum in it, I was in love with him as a child :)

7:04 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

It sounds like something I'd love to see myself. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Hugs,
laurie

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home