Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Superstitious ??? Not me …

For many years I'd thought that superstitions were just a bunch of hooey … but I changed my mind 28 years ag0 and ever since then I've refused to travel or make plans for the 22nd day of any month.  It's especially hard this year since Thanksgiving is on the 22nd and I will be going to my son's … but, luckily it's nearby.

Somewhere around the 70's I became aware that many bad things seemed to happen on the 22nd . I remembered a young friend who was in a fatal car wreck on May 22, 1956. Then in May also, but in the year 1960, my father died. That was very sad for me because I adored my Dad but it didn't have the traumatic affect that the killing of President John F. Kennedy had … on me and the nation .. and, as we all recall, that was on November 22nd, 1963.


Then, as the years passed, I was thankful that my “22nd of the month disasters” didn't include deaths but it did seem that so many fender benders, lost wallets, a broken hip and every other form of discomfort or woe inevitably occurred on the 22nd. It wasn't until September of 1990 however that I finally decided to take my superstition seriously. My husband finally died after a long illness and yes it was on the morning of the 22nd.

I guess what it boils down to is that no matter how much I'd like to be above the fray I have to admit that,  when it comes to the 22nd I'll stay close to home … and, if I go out, I will use precautions . It seems to be working too because a few days ago a “black cat crossed my path” just before I “walked under a ladder” but I wasn’t worried. I‘d “crossed my fingers” AND “knocked on wood” before I left the house.


PS: I don't like that only Google members can post on my blog. If you want to leave a comment feel free to email it to me at snowflakesnew@gmail.com  and I will post it. 






7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well, you certainly had a lot of things happen on that day, so I can't entirely blame you. Besides, it's just generally a frenetic day, I imagine.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I would be wary of the 22nd too, Ginnie, if I had experienced all of those things on that day. Take care on Thanksgiving!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Yikes, that is some compelling evidence. Chew well and slowly on Thanksgiving.

7:52 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Not really superstitious here but common sense keep us from traveling much. Our widowed daughter in law bring us holiday dinners here in the hinterland from the Twin cities. With a burgeoning caretaker role (Barb has dementia) we stay close to our support nearby group of friends and Mayo Clinic. All in all the 22nd will be a day of Thanksgiving and I won't have to do any cooking. We still live in our beautiful home in the woods overlook the cornfield and trout stream. Our motto remains "we're a team and we keep on trukin.....
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Ginnie :)

7:55 AM  
Blogger possum said...

You gotta be kidding!
My Impala was totaled in May, 1974... on the 22nd!
I was nearly totaled... pelvis broken in 2 places, ribs broken, various other things smashed. I remember spitting out what I was afraid were my teeth, but it was the windshield, or at least parts of it. The seatbelt saved my life but it also snapped the pelvis (my car rolled over 3 times- I was hit broadside, and came to rest on top of my purse that had been beside me on the front seat) .
But, hey! They said I would never walk again - and I still use the wheelchair for Train Shows or getting thru Walmart, things like that... but, well, I hated trying to teach from a wheelchair, so I worked my way out of that.
So what am I getting at? Superstition...
It was a Wednesday... I was wearing green. I have never worn green on Wednesday since. How dumb is that?????
So I don't blame you - you have more reasons that I do!!!!!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

Despite all — hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!

12:32 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You certainly have your reasons for staying close to home on that specific date and as long as it keeps you safe, who is to say it is just a foolish notion. We each have our own notions of things to avoid on certain dates/days.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home