Tuesday, December 23, 2014

My first Christmas, 1933

 
This is the Christmas card that my folks sent out the year that I was born, 1933, and I thought I’d send it, along with my best wishes, to each and every one of you reading this.

I was just 10 months old when that photo was taken...living in Plainfield, New Jersey with my four older sisters. Of course I don’t remember that Christmas but I do remember many of them as a child. We would wake to find a Christmas stocking at the end of our beds filled to overflowing with tangerines, nuts, raisins and candy mints. Of course we ate our fill and that sufficed for breakfast.

The actual opening of gifts would come when Mother and Dad had joined us. We had far fewer gifts then and each one became a treasure. Dad would play Santa and Mother would collect the ribbons, bows and wrapping paper. It was a “waste not, want not” era then and Mother would carefully fold everything and put it away for the next year.

When I remember those Christmas days in the 30’s and 40’s I realize how simple life was then. We had seven mouths to feed. It was a time of our country’s depression and then World War II. We had few frivolous possessions but we lacked for nothing. Love, laughter and respect for each other were in abundance and it is those things that I wish for all of you...my blogger friends.

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

A fine retrospective, Ginny. Times have changed. Enjoy this years version.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Weren't you a cutie? I know what your mean, the Christmases I remember the best were those when I got only a little but it was so special.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how I remember. Thanks for that, and a Happy Christmas to you. ... John

6:52 AM  
Blogger possum said...

What a precious little thing you were... and now a precious friend.

I, too, remember how cherished those few gifts were... I thought about that as I packed the boxes for the grandboys across the Bay. It just doesn't seem right, but it is expected.
I think we were happier.

11:42 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

What a sweet card. Nice to remember those special Christmases. And they are all special when you are a child.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Ginnie, Lovely photo and very interesting Christmas story of those good old days. Life was tough then but people were simple and loving. How times have changed.



Wish you happy Holidays.

8:18 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Oh my how very nice, Ginny. It rekindled some special Christmas memories for me...:)

8:53 AM  
Blogger Snowbrush said...

You were Sweet 16 when I was born.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love those old greetings. Seasons Greetings to you and yours.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home