Thursday, October 18, 2012

The confession of a “wannabe juicer”.


                
Two of my younger friends seem to have blossomed over night. One has lost quite a bit of weight and they both have complexions that a model would die for. When I questioned them about it they gave all the credit to juicing.
This isn’t a new concept to me since my daughter has advocated it for years, but I never took it seriously until now. Living alone is not conducive to eating well and I know that my daily intake of vegetables and fruit is nowhere near where it should be. On top of that I’ve felt listless and achy lately … just not up to par.

OK ! Decision made … I’ll start my juice feast today. I went to our local market and picked up a cabbage, cauliflower, onions, cucumbers, tart apples, a lemon and lots of carrots. I was loaded for bear and all would have been fine if I hadn’t gone down the candy aisle and seen the Chocolate Peanut Clusters on sale.

Now, this wouldn’t be a problem for most people. Buy the darn candy, take it home and treat yourself to one a day. But that’s not me. I am constitutionally unable to eat just one of anything when it comes to snacks so I try to keep them out of the house.

However, I was very good today. I actually came home, washed all the produce and processed it through the juicer. It made about two quarts and the taste is awesome. So far, so good … and time to reward myself with a peanut cluster !

You guessed it …it’s confession time. That darn bag of candy is empty, my stomach is groaning and I feel like curling up in a ball on the couch . Will I never learn?????

But then I remember that one of the big benefits of juicing is to detox the body and I’m determined to start all over. I figure I‘ll take it “one day at a time” like we do in another program that I follow and I promise to let you know how it turns out.























8 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

Juicing is good Ginnie. I did about 40 days of juicing in July and August. I don't eat dairy, peanuts, wheat, soy, sugar, or corn products. It really does help. And there are good books on detoxing the body.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

I don't "Juice" Ginnie but I do drink a glass of V8 vegetable juice everyday and I would swear to you, if I skip a day I feel it!
As for the candy, I have two squares of dark chocolate (my favorite) a day. Usually after dinner when my sweet tooth hits. That's it, I'm good for the day!
Good luck and have fun juicing. I imagine you can make hundreds of different concoctions!
Love Di ♥

9:15 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think most of us go overboard when we try to treat ourselves. I have many weaknesses, but potato chips are a real biggie for me. I've been good for two or three weeks now, and my knees are beginning to tremble. But thanks for the juice reminder; I have some Clamato downstairs, and I'm going to go get some right now. Otherwise, I tend to forget.

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Big John said...

I'm afraid that a slice of lime in my gin and tonic is as near as I get to juicing.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, juicing does seem like a good idea, but if we bought one of those juicers it would just be another kitchen gadget, so we do drink a bottled vegetable juice instead, but a low sodium version which sometimes gets jazzed up with a bit of chortle sauce. My weakness is dark chocolate or Resse's peanut butter cups. We are NOT buying any Halloween candy so as not to be tempted cause we usually get our favorites.

5:29 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Oh, sorry for the peanut cluster temptation.
I don't have a juicer--but I am a big fan of Bare Naked Juice. I can drink an 8 oz. container and get the equivalent of one apple, berries, bananas, etc. all in a glass. And -- yum!

8:33 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

You are too funny. The only thing I ever ate too much of was shrimp about 50 years ago. I was pregnant and starving and I cooked a batch of shrimp and ate every one of them. I then threw them back up all over my kitchen and had to clean the mess myself. I never did that again.

Smoothies are the key. I hate veggies in smoothies so mine are mostly fruits. Dianne

8:11 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I am sure it is good for you, but if you juice everything, how do you get enough fiber?

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home