Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Staying alert …

I have always been a bit of a “loner” but this pandemic has really proved to be a challenge for me as I'm sure it has for all of you reading this. As an octogenarian I don't take chances so I've been pretty much home bound for the past 5 months. However, one thing I am adamant about is keeping my little family group close. My two boys live near but my daughter and her husband live in NY as does my niece. Addin my 18 year old granddaughter and it makes six that I keep up with daily and here's how we do it ... 

I've always loved researching things so I decided I would learn something new every day and then pass it on to my family the following morning in a group email. Since I live in North Carolina I thought that the following example was interesting but I don't limit my search and I find there is always something out in our fascinating world that is new to me! 

Here is an example of one I sent last week:  The “subject” is always the same ...”Yesterday I learned ...” and then in the body of the email I wrote... “an interesting and fun fact about Babe Ruth.


George Herman Ruth Jr. hit his first home run in Fayetteville, NC on March 7th 1914. It was the beginning for "Babe Ruth" ...  perhaps the most legendary player in baseball history. He would belt his first home run as a professional and earn the famous moniker “Babe″ during a month-long visit here for spring training in 1914. Having signed just two weeks earlier with the then-minor league Baltimore Orioles, Ruth launched a shot “350 to 400 feet″ to right field in his second time at bat during an inter squad exhibition March 7 at Cape Fear.

Researching and writing my daily email gives me something to concentrate on every day. I've made it clear to the family that I don't expect, nor get, answers every day but I always sign out at night so they can go to sleep knowing that the "3 of us" ... Mom, Aunt Ginnie and Grandma ... are doing just fine.

(So, if you see a blog entry with the heading “Yesterday I learned ...it will be me sharing with you from the group emails.)



5 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

We keep in touch with family daily too as our social circle has diminished. We do get out for walks however. Your way of staying in touch is brilliant, a way to keep you mind active too.

3:29 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Very good idea, Ginnie. I applaud you!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We have a FB group that we cal FamJam. It has helped.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

That is a fun way to keep in touch and everyone learns something. Good idea.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Linda P. said...

That's a great idea. Because I live in a small subdivision of homes widely separated, the road out leading to a wildlife refuge a mile away that no one else seems to visit when I do, I get outdoors. I wave at other neighbors going to work or, occasionally, talk to them from across the street. My dog and I had a close encounter with a similarly sized (about 75 pounds) dog who wasn't happy with us heading to the wildlife refuge, though. The other dog lunged and growled at mine, but mine stood up to her and I was able to get her to leave us alone. She kept circling behind us and trying to approach again, though, so now I'm afraid walks down that lovely, secluded trail are out. Said dog lives right across from the entrance to the trail. They've always allowed their dogs to run free.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home