Friday, July 17, 2020

Happy Birthday Matt … July 18. 1960


Here you are at age one .




I will never forget the day that you were born. Dad and I were living in New York City and it was a terribly hot month. We, and your brother Mark (born July 3, 1959), were spending as much time as we could at the movies. We were trying to stay cool and it was about the only place in Manhattan that had air conditioning … or at least in a place that we could afford !

You weren’t due to be born until August so when a bad tummy ache woke me on July 18th I wasn't too concerned. However it soon became apparent that this was the “real thing” and when we called my doctor he advised us to get to the hospital ASAP. So we grabbed Mark and headed to the street to hail a cab.

The taxi driver was not happy to be driving a lady who was gasping for breath and yelling “you’d better hurry if you don’t want to deliver a baby in your cab”, because by this time I was really in labor. We were headed to Lennox Hill Hospital and it was across town from where we lived but we did make it in time …BARELY !

The cabdriver honked his horn and jumped out of the cab at the Emergency entrance looking for a nurse. One came running out with a wheelchair but after a very quick assessment she yelled “forget the chair. We need a stretcher stat…this babe is about to be born!” …and she was right. No time to get prepped at all. They rolled me direct to the OB birthing room and out you came. I was still on the stretcher and everyone was laughing and you were screaming your little head off.

It was an auspicious start and you haven’t slowed down since then. Even the smile is the same...




HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAFFY


5 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Happy birthday to your son. Great story too.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am sure that this is the 999th wonderful Ginnie story. What a gal! And congrats to Matt too.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Happy Birthday to Matt. Wow, he was really anxious to get here. Cute baby, handsome man.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

From my friend Jan:

Well that was a close call!
I feel for the poor cabbie - probably scared him to death!
Reminds me of the day one of my girls had her water break in my classroom. 2 boys fainted!
I spent the rest of the day sitting down as much as possible... knees were wobbly for hours!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Wishing your son a belated Happy 🎂 and I can imagine that the story of his arrival into the world was a favorite family topic for years, and still is one.
Also, Thanks Ginnie, for stopping by for a blog visit and sharing your "reason" for blogging. It helps to keep me alert as well and I have a few years to catch up with you!

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home