Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Forget the politicians …. Let Harry and Meghan take over !

I would not usually watch a royal wedding but I'm so glad I did. The racially mixed marriage of Harry and Meghan was a breath of fresh air and I loved the fact that her blackness was embraced and proudly displayed. Of course, in order for this to be possible, it needed the approval of the Queen and it was apparent that she'd given it.

As I watched the confusion and shock of many in the audience I thought of how many changes have occurred in my lifetime. I was 3 years old when Edward VIII abdicated in favor of marrying the American divorcee Wallace Simpson. Now it is 82 years later and a gutsy couple and an equally gutsy Queen with the power to make it happen are revising and updating history when it's needed most.

When the Reverend Curry so fervently declared ... “love is the answer” I imagined Trump reacting to those words. I can see him scratching his head and thinking (in the words of the Tina Turner song) What's love got to do with it? He, and all the politicians that wallow in the swamp with him are incapable of understanding a concept that is so pure and void of hatred and deception.

As Harry and Meghan take the high ground I can only hope that we who want a world filled with love for all will have the guts to follow their lead.





5 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I so agree!

5:33 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We watched, and I liked it. The sermon was a little much for my taste. Five minutes would have done fine.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

It was a breath of fresh air to witness two adorable people, so much in love and committed to giving back, hold center stage. All the barriers gracefully crossed was long over due. Kudos.

2:27 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I watched it in bits and pieces, but I was impressed. A true fairy-tale marriage in real time! it was exciting, and I am not into 'royalty' like many are.
Sorry if Bishop Curry's message was a tad long for some folk - but I have sat thru many a black preacher's sermon (mostly funerals) and trust me, Curry's was short!
But most of all, his message was so true... and so needed at this time of open hate in our country.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Well said, Ginnie, and I agree with your comments. The sermon might not have been to the linkings of some folks but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home