Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Ad infinitum …

These words “…this was not an honest war. This was a war dreamed up by politicians” (from “The Map of Love” by Ahdaf Soueif) were written in reference to the battle of Tel el-Kebir in 1882 but it could so easily apply to what happened here in the U.S. in 2001.

When the Twin Towers were attacked on 9/11 there was an outpouring of dedicated young men and women who willingly joined forces to protect our country. They were under the impression that we were going to Afghanistan where the terrorist camps were based to rout out Al Qaeda and the Taliban warriors who had attacked us … i.e., an “honest war”.

This did not happen. Instead President Bush, Vice President Chaney and their cronies grabbed the opportunity and used it to their advantage… a political decision that has caused immeasurable grief to both Iraq and the United States and now, 13 years later, there seems to be no end in sight … especially for the people of Iraq.

This is nothing new. Since day one our world has been dominated by devious politicians and now we have another incredible example: the tragic gunning down of the Malaysian Airlines Flight 17. I often wonder if it will ever end, but, call me naïve, I do see a slight glimmer of hope when I look at the young people of today.

They are growing up in the age of wireless communications and it is second nature to them. Unlike many of us they are comfortable with this electronic eye on the world and I believe they will demand transparency. Perhaps then the shady politicians will find it more difficult to hide the truth or to pull the wool over their eyes. I wish I could live long enough to see it happen but I pray that it does. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if acceptance could replace fear of the unknown?

Oh, well … I told you I was naïve.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

12 Comments:

Blogger Regenia said...

A very apt description of exactly what happened. But I think we might be seeing people purposefully walking away from any suggestion of tolerance. And sadly, I think there are far too many men who see war and aggression as something to be proud of.

4:25 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Yes, Ginnie, we can only hope. We can also hope that the truth of 9/11 comes out in the open but probably I will not live to see it.
How easily we are swayed by propaganda, and those that want us to believe in a certain way know how to appeal to the part of us they want to persuade. Remember what George Carlin said: Think of how stupid the average man is, then realize that half of them are even stupider than that.
Hope, Ginnie! Lets hang onto that hope!

5:06 AM  
Blogger Snowbrush said...

I saw your latest comment on Possum's site and came over for a visit. As to your idealism (I'll call it that rather than naiveté), I just figure the powerful will do as they've already been doing, and use the technology to spy on us. Nobody says it like Carlin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPrRxhYJMkQ

11:13 AM  
Blogger Snowbrush said...

" I think there are far too many men who see war and aggression as something to be proud of."

I was about to leave when I saw this. I have wondered if a world run by women would be more peaceful, but when I look at the rule of such women as have been in power, they seem to favor war just as much as men. Would we have peace under President Hilary, do you think? How about Michelle Bachman? Surely not Sarah Palin. I would simply ask where's the proof that one gender is warlike and the other peaceful? I would suspect that politics and religion make a greater difference than gender. For instance, evangelical Christians are much more disposed to war--and even torture--than are atheists, this without regard to gender.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I have my doubts but will not let go of hope. I know we are better than this, it is time we acted like it. Maybe if women were in charge---

12:49 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yes, it was a war based on a lie. Nothing wrong with being hopeful for the future.

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you study the conflicts of the Victorian era, you will soon realize that history continues to repeat itself.
It was the British Prime Minister, Harold MacMillan who said .. "The first rule of politics is never invade Afghanistan" !

7:05 AM  
Blogger Regenia said...

I should definitely clarify. I used "men" in the global, collective sense meaning "people" or " humanity". I believe you are totally correct. I don't believe we would see any less aggression or war with a Sarah Palin type. Being a Christian, I would very much like to disagree with your assessment of us. But sadly, you will get no argument from me. Based on those of us who are demanding center stage, your conclusions seem totally accurate to me. AndI have said exactly the same things myself.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Tragically, history seems to repeat itself in many of the wrong ways. But we should always remain hopeful for the future.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Snowbrush said...

" I used "men" in the global, collective sense meaning "people" or " humanity'".

Thank you for that clarification.

11:01 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Well said.....

9:36 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Ginnie, I am in complete agreement about the Iraq war and the lies/coverups. I knew at the time that no WMD would be found. Bin Laden and his Taliban were the perpetrators of 9/11. And yet, Bush, Cheney et al. wanted Iraq and its oil. Evil men with blood on their hands.

As far as men being more pugilistic, violence is a complex problem, which no simple biological approach can diagnose or remedy. Factors such as political instability, population density, and income inequality are associated with massive differences in violence across cultures, and these differences are observed while gender ratios remain constant. Of course, men still hold most of the power in the world, and it is no surprise, then, that they perpetrate most of the violence. But from what I have read, power is the fuel for waging war, whether male or female.

Women who gain power, like Margaret Thatcher and Condaleeza Rice, are often hawkish, suggesting that power, not gender, determines belligerence. Women in the judiciary dole out harsher penalties than men. And woman are committing more acts of domestic violence that previously recorded. I think that men have held power for longer so statistically they have been the ones who started modern wars. Just some information gathered from readings.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home