Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Chinese barbecue …

…on the campus of the school where my friend Lisa and her husband Glen have taught this past year. It’s a festive way to say farewell but it won’t be for long. They have made the decision to go back for another year !

Lisa writes that she has no regrets about going to China but that it’s been a long year with it’s share of problems. However they have lots of ideas and plans for making next year go more smoothly. One change will be the addition of two new staff members, both women. One is from Albania and the other from the U.S.

The Chinese school officials were hesitant about the woman from the U.S. because she is black. Evidently there is not one other black person in all of Pinghu but Glen convinced them that they should be more concerned about the quality of their teachers than the color of their skin. Lisa is excited that she was hired because she will now have an English speaking friend to converse with.

So my series of Lisa in China ends for the school year…with this picture that she took in a local market. I’d love to think that someone will buy the poor bird for a pet … but it’s more likely that he’ll be Crispy Roast Duck for dinner !

 

7 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

How nice that she will be able to converse in English - I know that pleases her no end!

Poor duck; I fear you are right.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't eat duck or lamb or veal. Someday, I hope to cease eating meat altogether. I hate those markets with livestock.

5:25 AM  
Blogger possum said...

So glad they have enjoyed their experience over there. It is hard for some people to adjust to a totally different life-style, let alone language. But I think they did well. I am sure she will enjoy having more teachers next semester.
I will try not to think about that poor duck.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It feels different to see the food you are going to eat, eh?

6:38 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Thank goodness we don't have to look our food in the eye before eating. Super market packaging is hard enough.
How nice she will have some one to talk easily with.

10:05 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Interesting. I recently met a large group of students and professors from China on a picnic in a local State Park. They had spent a year at NDSU in Fargo, N.D. and we all have a nice visit...:)

5:44 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I too hope that the duck will not be eaten. So good that she had a great experience. I am sure it took some adjusting to the customs. Good for her.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home