Wednesday, June 04, 2014

I knew the answer ….!!!

Here’s “Jeopardy” host Alex Trebek with Julia Collins. She is the contestant who recently earned $428,000 after 20 consecutive winning games.

“Jeopardy” has been a favorite of mine for many years and I rarely miss it. However I usually feel pretty dumb after a half hour of trying to answer the questions and that was certainly the case as I watched Julia win night after night and when it came to the final question she was usually so far ahead of the other contestants that it would have been impossible to beat her even if she didn‘t know the answer … but that was not the case last Friday night.

She and a fellow contestant were neck and neck money-wise so it really did come down to being able to correctly answer the final question which was: “The name of the New England writer who in 1999 became the last person to win an Oscar for adapting his own novel as a screenplay?"

“Who is John Irving?” I yelled at the screen as I watched the perplexed look on Julia’s face. After all, she’d said at one point that literature was her best subject and I couldn’t believe that she’d miss such an easy one…but she did and her reign was over.

As I was patting myself on the back for getting the right answer I had to remind myself that “Cider House Rules” is one of my favorite books and I was thrilled when it became a movie …so no wonder it was easy for me. But how about all the other questions that stump me night after night? I have to admit that putting things in perspective like that stopped my gloating … but it still felt good to get the right answer for once!

 

 

 

 

 

 

6 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

I don't get to see Jeopardy often, since Jim prefers something else at that time, but I did see her once or twice. I would have known the answer to that one too, but whether I could recall it under pressure is debatable. lol

4:30 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It is easy when you know the answer. And you did.

5:03 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Nope, I went with Stephen King.
I am so sorry she lost, tho. It was good to have a woman win so much.
Like you, I seldom miss Jeopardy - one of the few shows I do watch.

1:09 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I also love "The Cider House Rules." I remember getting the answer that stumped Ken Jennings about the seasonal white collar workers. Could not believe he missed it.

8:45 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

I watch very little TV these days but this is my favorite program. Of course, I loved to play Trivial Pursuittoo and as long as its the old version I can't get anybody to play with me anymore...:)

5:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the issue, isn't it? We get the right answer some of the time. The old joke ..even a broken clock is correct twice a day...May be true for many of us. Congratulations to you for knowing this answer. I did not.

. I saw the film, did not like it very much because the old doctor died from a drug overdose. ( hit too close to home) and never read the book.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home