Thursday, May 22, 2014

To Tampa and back in one week…

 

 
 
I had a fun get-away last week. I ran down, or actually I took a train down, to visit my granddaughter in Tampa, Florida. That’s the two of us at the Zoo.

I was contemplating driving and wondering if I was up to it when a friend suggested the train. I decided to look into it and was amazed at the convenience and the low cost. Amtrak leaves out of Southern Pines, North Carolina (the next town to Vass, where I live) and goes right to Tampa …a long ride but a delight at just $58 each way …much lower than the price of gas and a motel on the way down !

Amelia has been taking a year off after getting her 4 yr. degree at NC State but will be going back for more schooling in August where she’s been accepted at the University of Southern Florida.

She and her fiancé are getting to know the territory and have a lovely home in Tampa, along with 2 dogs and 2 cats !  It was a very relaxing week and I offered her top money to come back up and be my live-in cook but she opted out of that. I just may have to go back sooner than I’d planned … I was spoiled rotten.

Here’s a better picture of my granddaughter and the “hunter” who tracked her down and put a ring on her finger.
                                                                 


 
 

 

8 Comments:

Blogger troutbirder said...

What fun and a bargain on the train as well. I need to look into the Amtrak thing...:)

5:18 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Brilliant idea. Glad you had a good time.

5:42 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Those short getaways can be so much fun. I wish we lived closer to the train.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I had no idea Amtrak was so reasonable. I have always had a secret dream to sleep on a train. Someday....
So glad you had such a great time.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time.

5:01 AM  
Blogger possum said...

What a great trip you had!
How lucky you are to have a great family!
Welcome home!

4:39 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We took a train for our Niagara Falls trip and you were much luckier than us in catchung one so near yiur home, Ginnie. We had to drive 3 hrs to Wilmington DE. Yiur trip sounded great from the transportation to visiting with yiur granddaughter.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Sounds like a good deal on the train. Much better than the craziness of flying lately. Just had another long delay that wasn't the airlines fault. Too much though with TSA getting back into the country.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home