Saturday, May 03, 2014

Still breathing ...

Some of you may remember when I fractured my hip two years ago. Part of my post-surgery procedure was using the item that you see here. It is an incentive spirometer and is used to help open the airways and prevent fluid or mucus from building up in your lungs.

I had completely forgotten that I had this until I came across it while doing a thorough cleaning of my bathroom closet a few weeks back. When I saw it I decided to test myself. I put my lips around the flexible tube and took a long, slow deep breath in. As I did so the piston inside the large column moved up registering my lung capacity. I was surprised to see that I didn’t get it up very far.

I could barely get it to the 1000 mark and that was less than what I could do while still in the hospital. This really annoyed me but it scared me too. I realized that I did not have the lung capacity that I thought I did. It was a wake up call for me to take some action.

I decided to put the spirometer in the one place where I couldn’t help but see it … on my desk, next to my computer ! … and I’ve challenged myself to use it as often as I can every day. There is a little arrow attached to the big tube and I can set it to the number that I’ve reached. This is my reminder of how high I have been able to raise the piston with my breaths and I strive each time to get it a little higher.

I’m happy to report that I can see real progress in the two weeks that I’ve been using this and I plan to keep on doing it. (I’m up to the 1500 mark …yeah !)

 

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What will they think of next? It seems like a simple but excellent idea.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Way to go. We do have to work at keeping our health levels from sliding as we pack the years on.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

My mother has had these as well, when she has been in the hospital, but she is not always so diligent at using them once back home. Kudos to you for working at improving your lung capacity and it makes me wonder how I would do myself.

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hated this thing and hate the test in the GP's annual exam. I can never do well. Now I am practicing deep breathing exercises my granddaughter showed me. We will see if I can do better next week for my annual exam. However, II am afraid to inhale these days with all the pollen.

5:55 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Good plan. Whatever it takes to keep all the parts functioning properly....:)

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home