Sunday, July 13, 2014

YUCK !!!

I live close to the road and I try to keep the front of my house looking nice, so I was pleased to see how clean and welcoming the concrete floor of my porch looked after I repainted it. But a few days later I drove back from shopping and noticed that the branches of the pecan tree in my front yard were covered with those horrible, yucky Gypsy Moth cocoons. It was gross and very visible…not at all welcoming !

I called my son Matt to see if he could help and he said that he had just listened to a PBS discussion on that very thing. They recommended a solution that did not use chemicals. Evidently caterpillars are a real treat to many birds so if you can break open the cocoons exposing the critters you can just leave the rest to the birds. Matt got some very long sticks and he poked and probed the cocoons. We bagged up the parts that came down but the rest we left open to the elements and the birds. That was 4 days ago and look at the difference …already they are practically gone.

I am so happy to have been able to rid myself of this yucky stuff without using heavy duty repellants or sprays. And, best of all, I now feel that my little house, once again, says “Welcome” …

 
 

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Terrific paint job too.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yuck was the right word to describe these and while the method of eradication is one I would use, the ones spotted in our neighbor's pecan tree are simply too high up to break open...we would need a very very long pole or a very tall giant and possibly both!

4:46 AM  
Blogger lucylocket said...

When we lived in New England, gypsy moths were a huge problem. The caterpillars could strip a tree of its leaves in a matter of days. The solution to our problem was coating the trunk of the tree with a sticky goo. When the caterpillars fell off the tree and decided to go back, they would get stuck in the goo. That of disgusting, too, but it did the job.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Ooh, I like your porch. Also like the environmentally smart way you solved the moth problem. You and the birds did well.

10:09 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Yep, another science experiment gone bad.
Glad you found a good way to get rid of yours!

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed a welcome sight. Aren't you fortunate to have a pecan tree in your yard. My idiot neighbor cut down the Black Walnut tree that stood on our property line.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Wow - that porch makes a welcoming statement. Glad you could make the moths into bird food.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Those caterpillars were quite a problem on pecan trees in Virginia. Your house is really inviting. Hope you didn't get much disturbance from Hurricane Arthur. Seemed to be just a rainmaker here.

3:54 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

We had some too high to reach so a neighbor "shot" the tent with a high-pressure hose. Love your porch.

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home