Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The joy of Alcoholics Anonymous meetings


I started attending AA meetings in June of 1989. I was the embodiment of the newcomer … angry, confused and not at all happy to be there. But I DID stay sober and little by little I started to thaw. I opened my mind. I learned the art of listening and I came to love the meetings.

A phrase that you hear very often in AA from newcomers is “how long will I have to go to these darn meetings?” and the stock answer is “only until you enjoy them!”

And now it is 21 years later and I am still enjoying them. We are a group of men and women who would probably not mix otherwise but staying sober is our only goal and that is what binds us.

Today’s meeting was especially good. It was led by a woman in her sixties who has just passed the one year mark in AA. She spoke of the many changes in her life and how her husband is so supportive and loves the “new” person that she’s become. They’ve been married for many years but he says it’s like getting his bride back!

He also told her to be sure and read her Horoscope for that day. She liked it so much that she brought a copy to share with us. It reads: “You think you have changed your life but life has changed you. You are proud of your accomplishments but your accomplishments have made you who you are today.”

I love that … and was pleased to learn that it was the Horoscope for Aquarius, since that’s my sign too !

9 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

Sounds good Ginnie. I keep going because if I don't I tend to slip back into old ways.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

You have reasons to be proud of yourself. Those who successfully battle an addiction have my admiration.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

How wonderful for you and your friends, Ginnie. And the story about your friend was great because I enjoyed the horoscope since I am a fellow Aquarian (Feb 3). Indeed it's a very small world!

2:44 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

That's a very nice horoscope to have!!

I have a friend whose sister needs AA badly, but she doesn't see that she has a problem. It's too bad that she is ruining her life and her marriage.

4:20 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

A dear friend of mine is long time sober, and constant attender of AA.
She gave me insight into the path you walk as you maintain sobriety.
I am glad you have friends with whom to share the joy of a new lease on life.

7:10 AM  
Blogger possum said...

It works if you work it!
Proud of you!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Does it feel like church? If so, I would have a tough time keeping it up.

10:23 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Ginnie, I know that the signs I posted are sad. It is a shame that people are reduced to such a state, especially when they drink as well.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Good for you Ginnie. Proud of you.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home