Thursday, August 19, 2010

Let’s take a spin in the BUBBLE CAR !


Is this about the cutest thing that you ever saw? As most of you readers know my daughter and her husband are in the antique business in NY. This is a far cry from their usual acquisition but they couldn’t resist buying this little gem the minute they saw it.

It’s a 1956 Kabinenroller (Cabin Scooter) … a three wheeled bubble car that was (according to my research) designed by the aircraft engineer Fritz Fend and produced in the factory of Messerschmitt, the German aircraft manufacturer from WWII. It was forbidden for them to build more airplanes so they’d turned to making cars.

In 1956 the Suez Crisis caused fuel prices to soar so cheap transportation was a necessity and Bubble cars became an overnight sensation in Europe. Since these vehicles were three wheelers they qualified for inexpensive taxes and licensing in many areas, just as did motorcycles. As a matter of fact they are just a shade larger than a good sized motorcycle.

As I studied the picture above I kept wondering how you opened the doors and then I realized there weren’t any ! Entry to the car is through the aircraft-style bubble canopy that’s hinged to the right side of the vehicle. (Hmmm … I guess that lets me out. Not a pretty sight to contemplate.)

Actually this little Bubble Car started the craze for low cost and fuel efficient small vehicles in Europe. Competition was strong and this one didn’t last long but it wasn’t for lack of style.

I’m sure my kids won’t be the proud owners for long … after all they are in the “buying and selling” business … but maybe they’ll take the chicks for at least one “spin” before it’s gone.

10 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

It really is cute! But I don't think I want to climb in either....lol

1:02 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

COOL car Ginnie! It would be fun to go for a spin in it!
Love Di ♥

6:49 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Unbelievable! I never knew there was such a vehicle. It looks even smaller than a Smart Car. It would be a horrible sight to watch me get in it though.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I hadn't realized that there had been an energy crisis of sorts in 1956.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Looks like something only very small people could get in and out of - wonder hoe many MPG it gets?

8:23 PM  
Blogger Adamity73 said...

They should keep it (if it runs).

Another "fuel crisis" could be looming.

Plus? It's cute, a head-turner.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I want one. Did they make one for husky sized fellows.

4:26 PM  
Blogger possum said...

OH, WOW! I have never seen one of those before! How cute!
But, There is no way I could ever get in or out of one. LOL! Does it come with a crane?

6:18 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Cute car.

The chicken seems very interested in taking it for a spin :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I would like that. It is truly a neat little car. Thanks for the fascinating history of it as well.

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home