Wednesday, August 11, 2010

YES, SNAIL-MAIL DOES STILL EXIST !


Isn’t this a lovely card? It was sent to me from my niece in St. Johnsbury, Vt. Her mother is my oldest sister Mary, now in a Rest Home in that area and I visited with them last month.

The words on the card are from a Danish Proverb and read:
“A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.”

That really touched me because it described our relationship in a nutshell. My niece is a very talented woman who has sacrificed the last two years to caring for her mother and seeing that her teenage son gets the best education possible. This is all very commendable but it has left little time or energy for her to pursue her own dreams.

When we were together we spent a long time discussing her options and trying to open doors that had, of necessity, been shut for a long time. Now she has taken a month’s leave from her job and is concentrating on bringing back “the song in her heart” . She truly had “forgotten the words” and it was thrilling to me to watch the spark being ignited again as we talked.

I enjoy getting emails but there is nothing, in my estimation, that can replace a thoughtful card with a hand written note and posted with love. This will go up on my mantle where I will enjoy it daily !

8 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

You are so right, Ginnie. I love receiving them, but nowadays, except for the occasional thank you card, all I get are birthday cards. :-/

1:43 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yes, I get this. I just don't get snail mail -- except a bit at Christmas.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I so agree Ginnie. I still send cards, it is so much more personal.
Your niece sounds like a lovely person! Love Di ♥

7:26 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I totally agree. The art of writing is being lost, especially letter writing. I still write letters and prefer them.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sending cards is eomthing I do on a regular basis, even if it's not reciprocal. Also, I have started buying books in thrift stores and sending a book with a card and note. I've gotten several phone calls from surprised folks, but somehow they forget that it's possible for them to also send a card or note. It certainly is becoming a "lost" art. We always display received cards on the mantel for at least a month - birthday, anniversary, holiday, doesn't matter what the occasion.

6:20 PM  
Blogger possum said...

SIGH... sigh...
Yes, I used to send snail mail all the time, but I have gotten so lazy, I am pitiful. If it weren't for bills, I would have no idea where the mail slot is at the Post Office! I do mail a lot of packages... BUT, on the other hand, I am the "family" correspondent... I do a letter, usually 4 pages, that goes out every Sunday morning - by email - to friends and family... last count was a little over 100 addresses. Been doing it since 1998. I would have serious writer's cramp if I had to write that many copies! Lets see, what would that cost per week?
But I LOVE getting snail mail! go figure.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Adamity73 said...

Absolut-ly, Gin.

There is nothing better than getting something in the mail other than bills.

It's almost like Christmas!

=)

8:27 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I had pretty well given up dreams until my friend Lynne showed up and gave me some new life stories to write and share with someone.

I leave it to others to decide if I have a new sparkle in my eye.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home