Friday, July 16, 2010

A delightful few hours at the C.I.A.



Yes, this is the one…not the Central Intelligence Agency or (as we joke in AA … Catholic-Italian-Alcoholic !) It was the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY and I was there with my daughter and her husband and his dad last month. Although I have been there a few times I am always amazed at what an outstandingly gorgeous place it is. The property was once home to a Jesuit novitiate and it retains the calm and beauty of that era.

We were there on a Monday so only three of the many restaurants were open. Two of them were completely booked up so we “settled” for The Apple Pie Bakery Café. As the name implies the deserts were sinful but the sandwiches were a culinary delight too . Here is a brief sampling of the menu:

Banh Mi 9.95 French-Vietnamese sandwich of spicy pork meatballs withcarrots, pickled daikon radishes, jalapenos & cilantro. Served with hot Siracha mayonnaise & a side of pickled cucumbers
Muffaletta 9.95 Mortadella, ham, Genoa salami, provolone, mozzarella, & black olive tapenade on foccacia. Served with Old Bay spiced potato chips.
Portabella Mushroom Sandwich 7.95 Warm Olive Oil roasted Portobello Mushrooms, Soft Goat Cheese, Red Onions, and Baby Spinach dressed with Balsamic Vinegar on our Francese and Caramelized Onion Bread. Served with a Watercress and Sherry Vinaigrette Salad.

After our lunch we strolled the campus and I was pleased to get an actual photograph of one of the students at work and a panoramic shot of the garden area overlooking the Hudson River.




As we drove away I couldn’t help but think that this had, indeed, been a palatable experience … satisfying an inner peacefulness as well as our taste buds.

Be sure to visit if you are ever in the vicinity.

6 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

That sounds delicious. Glad the visit was good.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guess that too many cooks didn't spoil anything at all. :)

3:48 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The CIa does look inviting - both for the food and especially for the views. Yes, it's on our "to see" lost as Grenville and I both enjoy cooking and do it often - every day in fact!

2:03 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I'll have to put that on my bucket list!!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Well Ginnie, I think that this post was just one giant sinfully delicious tease! Love Di ♥

6:40 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

What a lovely setting for this special educational institution. Is this the same Culinary Institute that once called New Haven home. I remember the students in their white costumes when I first moved there.

Years before my aunt wanted to pay my way to the Culinary Institute when I showed an interest in cooking as a teenager.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home