Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Family portrait…circa 1934


Yep, here we are … all 5 of us. I can’t believe that I was ever that small. I’m the little one in the middle with the straight hair and the leather shoes!

What interests me is that the expressions we had then really reveal the personalities that were to be ours for the rest of our lives. Starting from the top left we have Mary Jane, the oldest and the most “saintly” of us all by far. She was the one that all the husbands gravitated to when they had a problem. She would LISTEN!

Next is Barbara (top right). A female with strong opinions who never failed to let her ideas be known. I’ve found that we can get along just fine if we stay away from politics, religion and AA; but, I have to give her strong points for making sure that the family has kept connected over the years …through thick and thin.

Below her is Nancy, the comedienne of the family. She was the originator of most of the practical jokes that seemed to pop up regularly in our household and was a great favorite with the British sailors that we entertained during World War II.

Bottom left is Peggy Ann…my closest sister. As her expression shows she ponders most situations until they are perfectly clear and then she moves ahead with assurance. She has a warm and loving personality and was probably the most domestic of us all. I envied her cooking ability.

And now it’s been 76 years since that picture was taken and of course time has taken it’s toll. Everyone is still alive but I’m the only one who’s still mobile. My expression??? I guess it’s a cross between “duh” and “are you sure?” !

9 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

It is neat how the personalities matched the expressions Ginnie! All of you were lovely girls!
Love Di ♥

1:12 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It's wonderful to see yourself and other family members in old photos and to have such memories. You and your sisters surely had some great times together! Thanks for sharing.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Talk about girl power! What a brood as Ebeneezer might have said to the Ghost of Christmas Past.

6:41 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

What a wonderfully sweet photo--such a treasure.
And for all of you to still be here: priceless.

6:55 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Ginnie, what a treasure this photo is. Such beautiful girls, who I am sure (at least in your case) grew into beautiful women!!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

What beautiful faces!! Thank you for brightening my morning with such a heart-warming photo. Wonderful! Sincerely, Laurie

7:05 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I love this photo and your thoughts on the personality of each sister. Very neat.

5:10 PM  
Blogger steveroni said...

So you're still mobile! Duh! Are you sure?--grin!

Actually I am glad you are still mobile--and that I also am...what? What am I? I forget. Me name Hosay Heemenis. Maybe.

Let me begin again: Oh, heck!!!!

I love old family photos, even when they are not MY family! Thanks!

10:26 PM  
Blogger possum said...

What a great picture. How fortunate you were to have such a big family and for you all to have been in touch over the years. I lost my sister that was 12 years younger when she was only 48... my other sister I have not seen since she was 3, the week-end Kennedy was assassinated. And my 2 half brothers don't even know each other's names.
Like I said, you are a lucky one!

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home