Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hand-painted Wall Murals … circa 1814





In 2002 I spent the month of August in Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. My research with Historical Societies, museums and tourism offices before my trip enabled me to map out a route that shunned the highways in favor of the seldom used but picturesque back roads. It was a relaxing and stress free vacation.

My only regret is that I did not see the wonderful murals that I picture here. When I arrived home I found a letter from the Hampden, Maine, Historical Society inviting me to visit them and to view their latest acquisition ... the murals.

They were believed to have been painted by a British Soldier in 1814 and were on the walls of the 200 year old Hampden home of Ada and John Senter. The family donated them in 2001 to the Historical Society for their safe keeping. The society hired a professional conservator from Portland, Me., who painstakingly removed the wallpaper paintings and had them framed.

These murals would have been of particular interest to me since I‘ve painted many a wall scene myself. However, I doubt if I will ever have the pleasure of actually seeing them ... after all Maine is a “fur piece” from North Carolina ... but I did write and thank them for the invitation.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'll bet that was a great trip even though you missed the murals.

2:11 PM  
Blogger steveroni said...

What an interesting post!

I have found also, those "blue roads"
are the most relaxing, picturesque, and informative/educational also. I learn nothing while traversing I-95.

Well, it IS rather fun when the rains come, and we "bikers (me on scooter) gather together under the overpasses. All strangers who become fast friends, ready to help one another in any situation.

Sort of like "you-know-what"! Oh OKAY...Alcoholics Anonymous!

PEACE,
Steve

8:32 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

It's good to be able to see photos of them, if nothing else.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, this post was quite timely as we are planning a trip to Maine (our first) to hopefully see some of the fall colors. If our trip takes us anywhere near the Hampden historical society, we will definitely stop in and let you know about the murals. We too hope to travel some back roads, although mush had changed since your travles, I'm sure but hopefully there will still be picturesque places along the route.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Nice Ginnie. I think that you would love Maine. A good reason to visit to see those murals.

6:17 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Oh how I LOVE Maine... you can get back there... I know you can.
I tell myself that everyday. I have loaned all my Maine books to Beatrice and Grenville... I expect good pictures in return.

Never give up on the dream... lots of roads you missed, but even the same ones will all look new.
YOU CAN DO IT!

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home