Thursday, September 16, 2010

19th Century Greeting Cards







I don’t have a story to go along with these vintage cards but I found them in a drawer that I was cleaning out and thought you might enjoy them as much as I do.

They are all from the Smithsonian National Museum of American History and date back to the 19th century. They were part of a collection entitled “Images from the Good Old Days”.

Each card is like a small work of art and although they make reproductions similar to these today they never seem to get the same unique coloration that was used back then. It (and the quality and weight of the paper used) is what makes these cards authentic and delightful.

It reminds me of my Dad who was a great romantic. He would often send cards like these to the love of his life ... my Mother ... and he never apologized for his sentimental devotion. To me that’s the definition of a “real man”.

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My goodness. You're older than I thought. I'm so impressed that you're been able to master the computer at such a ripe old age. (there I go yanking your chain)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I think that is a good man. Being not afraid to show affection and love is really a manly thing.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I also have some of these cards Ginnie. I love them!
Love Di ♥

7:29 PM  
Blogger steveroni said...

Talk about "old"...I go BACK to BACH
in my violin practicing.

Like the cards lady--you might consider keeping them (grinning!).

9:19 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I adore stuff like that. Those are gems, Ginnie!

5:34 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

They certainly are works of art.. timeless at that. The two bottom ones remind me of May Gibbs' work from here in Australia. Gorgeous

8:45 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

The cards are charming. I so like it that the Smithstonian Museum collects popular culture. Years ago I purchased two posters with reproductions of baseball players on it, like like of Shoeless Joe Jackson. They are framed now and a treasure for one of my grandchildren who loves baseball.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home