Saturday, September 19, 2009

UPDATE on my CONTAINER GARDENING …


Some of you may remember my lame attempt at growing tomatoes on my deck. I had four large containers to which I’d added the 6 teeny tomato starter plants. They grew very large and spindly and produced hardly any flowers.

I had some wonderful advice from three or four of you loyal blog friends but, in the end, just as my brother-in-law had predicted, the bottom line was that they were not receiving enough sun.

This picture of the 5 tomatoes is the sum total of my entire harvest !!

A few weeks ago I threw the whole mess out and decided to try again… this time with herbs. Now I have Greek Oregano, Mint, Rosemary and Sweet Basil growing (hopefully) in my containers.
I have an idea that they will do much better than the tomatoes!

We don’t usually receive a frost warning until sometime in December so I will be able to keep these little guys on my deck for another 3 months. It’s fun to pinch off some leaves from my very own “herb garden” to enhance my omelets, my tea, etc.

I have already designated a sunny ledge in my office where the plants can reside for the winter. Any survival hints for container herbs will be greatly appreciated !

8 Comments:

Blogger Chancy said...

I like the idea of a mini herb garden I may try that too on my deck next spring. I wonder if I can keep the pesky squirrels away.

My 10 year old granddaughter grew some tomatoes and cucumbers and herbs in her side yard where it is sunny. They put some sort of small extra wire dog yard around the mini garden to keep the rabbits and squirrels out.

Good harvest to you.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

You have nice looking tomatoes, just not many.

You should have success with the herbs. I hope you find lots of things to sprinkle a little fresh herb on.

We had our first killer frost last night. -2C. We had several boxes of green tomatoes. So far we have 10 jars of green tomato pickles, using our own fresh dill.
Some we will eat as fried green tomatoes. Some will ripen, indoors, I hope. There will be more jars of preserve using green tomatoes. We only had about four ripe ones.

This has not been a good year, too cool, too much rain.

When all else fails, there is always the supermarket!

6:30 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Sunshine is the key for growing most fruit producing plants.
I have not grown herbs, so I don't know what your success will be.

6:45 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

No survival hints here, but I can tell you to add mint to your salads. It's wonderful!

Those tomatoes will do wonderfully; rolled in cornmeal and fried!!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Fried green tomatoes ! My family loves these . I dip the slices in an egg wash and then flour mixed with corn corn meal,salt, pepper and a little onion powder. Than fry. We like to dip them on ranch dressing!
Love Di

5:53 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

You can get a cold frame and keep it on the deck too. That way you could start some other plants and keep the ones that you have going during the winter. Glad that it worked. Maybe try the tomatoes in another location next year.

3:34 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Absolutely fab results Ginnie :)

5:41 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Looks like fried green tomatoes for dinner! Not a bad meal...
I often grow a tomato plant or 2 in a BIG pot on wheels out in the sun and leave it there until close to frost time, then I bring it in on the carport, cover it with plastic, and we are good to go till Thanksgiving! The tomatoes will ripen, but very slowly, BUT still on the vine!

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home