Wednesday, September 09, 2009

AH … the mysterious web !


Isn’t this amazing? It caught my eye a few mornings back when I was leaving the house and I was happy to be able to get it on film. It was about 8 AM and by the time I got home, a few hours later, it had completely vanished.

A little research told me that this was an orb web. Evidently the spider weaves this at night to catch it’s prey. After an evening of hunting the web becomes worn out and the spider removes it in the morning by eating it. Then the process starts all over again the next night.

Here is a web construction diagram that shows the intricacy of the design and how it is achieved.


The spider releases a sticky thread that is blown away with the wind to a spot where it sticks & the first bridge is formed. After this the spider constructs a loose thread and constructs a Y shaped thread. Then a frame is constructed to attach the other radii.

After all the radii are completed the spider starts to make the circular threads. The spider can span the distance between the threads the width of her legs. The web is completed with non sticky radii and sticky circular threads and the spider can rest and sit in the center of the web with her head down ... calmly awaiting her dinner !

Isn’t nature amazing?? … and beautiful, too.

9 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

It truly is amazing Ginnie! Unless of coarse one happens to walk into it! Yuck! Love Di

6:53 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

So the spider can extrude both stick and non-sticky web material? Am I understanding that correctly.
I do love the photo of the web.
Huh, eat your living place when it gets out-dated. Now there's a thought.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well, well: I learn something new every day -- at least on days when I read your blog. :)

7:22 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

These spiders are everywhere at our property. I've walked into many webs. The female is huge compared to the small male. The webs I see persist for several days.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Beautiful photograph Ginnie. Thanks for taking the time to take this picture and sharing it with all of us.

Sometimes it is the small pleasures in life that mean the most.

7:38 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I'm with Diana - can't stand to walk into one. I went out onto the deck yesterday and stepped into a web stretched from our patio umbrella to a forsythia bush that is 10 feet away. It caught me right in the eyes and mouth and I was so creeped out!!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

The Orb spider does fascinate us too Ginnie, and I love the pic you took, unreal hey..one minute it is there and the next..eaten!

2:29 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Nice pic. They are amazing things. Glad you appreciate it!

9:27 AM  
Blogger JennyMac said...

We found a huge OrbWeaver in our backyard. I am not a spider killer but my Hub went to town since this web was low to the ground and we have a 2 year old. It is a beautiful web for sure.

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home