Tuesday, September 23, 2008

YOU DON’T SEE THIS EVERY DAY…


I live in an area that is famous for golf and anything equestrian. I am neither a golfer or a horse-woman so I kind of live on the fringes... but that doesn’t bother me since I have a variety of friends of all persuasions and we find many other things to interest us.

I was driving home a few days ago on Rt. 1 and passed a large horse farm where I often see horses, riders and their equipment. I think that they perform all types of competition there and it’s not unusual in the least to see hundreds of horses and their owners.

What WAS unusual was to see a horse-drawn hearse! I almost went off the road gawking at it. Sure enough, it was a hearse and the rider (although not the one in the picture) was formally dressed, as were the horses.

Since I didn’t know anyone there I was loathe to stop and get an explanation. There didn’t seem to be a body in the glassed-in box of the hearse...and for that I was grateful !

The more I thought about it I realized that it was probably someone showing off an antique carriage of great value. Perhaps the equestrian group was hosting a show, much like those that I’ve seen for antique cars.

Whatever it was it hearkened back to days gone past and it gave me the creeps!

9 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Oh, but from an antique standpoint, how great it is to have one around in good condition. I'd love to have seen that.

12:58 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Goodness--it looks like something out of a Dickens' novel, doesn't it. Remember in OLIVER--he is hired out as a young child to walk behind horse-drawn coffin carriages.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Like KGM said, Scrooge was the first thing I thought about. I think that's the only place where I've ever seen one.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do see a few of these hearses in the UK. They seem to be popular for the funerals of East End gangsters and the like. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/uk_news/967018.stm

8:20 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I kind of like the idea but it will be forever etched in my mind when JFK 's funeral took place and the horse Blackjack rode beside the cortege with a boot turned backwards in the stirrup.

5:22 PM  
Blogger RC said...

horse drawn hearst...that is a crazy sight

9:41 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Awww it is gorgeous but creepy at the same time also! Great image!

1:05 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Ooooooo. Great shot.
Haven't seen one in many many years.

9:23 AM  
Blogger possum said...

If you are interested - there are a number of funeral companies that have horse drawn hearses available. One such is http://www.horsedrawnfunerals.com/
Sounds like the way to go to me!

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home