Tuesday, September 23, 2008


I live in an area that is famous for golf and anything equestrian. I am neither a golfer or a horse-woman so I kind of live on the fringes... but that doesn’t bother me since I have a variety of friends of all persuasions and we find many other things to interest us.

I was driving home a few days ago on Rt. 1 and passed a large horse farm where I often see horses, riders and their equipment. I think that they perform all types of competition there and it’s not unusual in the least to see hundreds of horses and their owners.

What WAS unusual was to see a horse-drawn hearse! I almost went off the road gawking at it. Sure enough, it was a hearse and the rider (although not the one in the picture) was formally dressed, as were the horses.

Since I didn’t know anyone there I was loathe to stop and get an explanation. There didn’t seem to be a body in the glassed-in box of the hearse...and for that I was grateful !

The more I thought about it I realized that it was probably someone showing off an antique carriage of great value. Perhaps the equestrian group was hosting a show, much like those that I’ve seen for antique cars.

Whatever it was it hearkened back to days gone past and it gave me the creeps!


Blogger kenju said...

Oh, but from an antique standpoint, how great it is to have one around in good condition. I'd love to have seen that.

12:58 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Goodness--it looks like something out of a Dickens' novel, doesn't it. Remember in OLIVER--he is hired out as a young child to walk behind horse-drawn coffin carriages.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Like KGM said, Scrooge was the first thing I thought about. I think that's the only place where I've ever seen one.

7:43 AM  
OpenID Big John said...

You do see a few of these hearses in the UK. They seem to be popular for the funerals of East End gangsters and the like. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/uk_news/967018.stm

8:20 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I kind of like the idea but it will be forever etched in my mind when JFK 's funeral took place and the horse Blackjack rode beside the cortege with a boot turned backwards in the stirrup.

5:22 PM  
Blogger RC said...

horse drawn hearst...that is a crazy sight

9:41 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Awww it is gorgeous but creepy at the same time also! Great image!

1:05 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Ooooooo. Great shot.
Haven't seen one in many many years.

9:23 AM  
Blogger possum said...

If you are interested - there are a number of funeral companies that have horse drawn hearses available. One such is http://www.horsedrawnfunerals.com/
Sounds like the way to go to me!

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home