Thursday, August 28, 2008

The sure-fire plan for STRESS REDUCTION


I listened to a Talk Show recently and they spoke in depth about stress and the reducing of same. One of the exercises seemed uncomplicated and something that I could handle. You simply settled back in the most comfortable position of your choice, closed your eyes and started counting slowly ... the whole time visualizing your stresses taking wing.

“OK “ I thought, “here I go” ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR,…..I barely made it to FIVE before I saw my auto insurance payment sprouting wings and drifting away. Next went my commitment to serve on a useless committee, followed closely by money lending requests ... all of them wrapped neatly in packages and flying off with the aid of their little wings.

“Wow, this is really working” I thought. SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT ... and suddenly I’m taking flight. I can’t see my own wings, of course, but I trust that they have sprouted. I feel myself being lifted high and I float with ease and complete serenity. I wonder where I am but it doesn’t really matter. I am stress free and it’s an amazing feeling.

Now I feel myself gently settling back to earth... only it’s not earth that I touch. It’s a sort of plank that I’m on and I’m still counting...FIVE HUNDRED AND TWO, FIVE HUNDRED AND THREE… The fog seems to be lifting and I see below me a large expanse of water.

If I’m not mistaken I’m “walking the plank” and I try desperately to stop counting. I can see the water roiling below me and the end of the plank is getting closer and closer...but I can’t stop the count. I’m up to FIVE HUNDRED AND TEN and a great weight is pushing me off the edge.

As I plunge to my inevitable death I wonder what happened to my wings. I hit the water and realize that there’s nothing that can save me now. I can’t swim and I’m taking on water fast. I can’t remember a more stressful time in my life, but I keep counting. FIVE HUNDRED AND TWENTY, FIVE HUNDRED AND TWENTY ONE...

Suddenly, with a jolt, I am awakened and I find that I’m back in my own room on my recliner. I breathe a huge sigh of relief and suddenly my actual stresses seem mediocre at best. “I can handle those“, I say to myself, “this counting thing really works”.

7 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

Yes, it does work. I used to do it when I was running. Now I find that saying the Serenity Prayer over and over works well.

11:10 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

That sounds like a very good way to handle it!

12:14 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Sounds rather like one of those dreams where you are trying to do something--say find your car in a garage. And you walk and walk (usually I am barefoot!?!) and it seems never-ending. And then you wake up, so relieved you haven't lost your car.
Is that how stress reduction works--relieved that you aren't walking the plank?

12:49 PM  
Blogger robin ann mcintosh said...

I needed this today. As always Ginnie, you said the right thing at the right time <3

thank you!

12:58 PM  
Blogger RoyalTLady said...

You have just succeeded in helping ME to distress myself this evening...its 7.31p.m in Malaysia now.

I am amused with your scribe...YES, honest!

Beautiful!

Each time I logged on, I kept seeing empty space in your blog link...I was just wondering what had happened to you lately.

BUT now I am relived...you are here again with us all to share your beautiful piece.

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done....nice post.
If only we TOOK the time each day to do this....sit back, relax, let our minds wander....I think society as a whole would be much better off. But I have to admit I'm guilty of not doing something so simple. But I DO work at making my atmosphere stress-free....burning incense, listening to music that soothes me and creating balance in my life.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

8:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Really... Nice post and idea seems to work. It’s like auto suggestions to relieve you from the depressed situation. Even I followed some stress management tips to relieve myself from worst situation of stress and anxiety.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home