Tuesday, August 12, 2008

IT’S WONDERFUL TO HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS !!


Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is part of an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by an east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet.

“Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or should I pay someone else to do it?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan, Jim.”

8 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

This is a great response. I wonder at people who use religiosity to elevate bigotry and hate.

6:55 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--when the show West Wing was running, they had an episode that featured a Dr. Laura type character. And they had President Bartlett use that same list as a counter to "the Bible says homosexuality is wrong." It was a wonderful scene.
How interesting that people are eager to take their morality, find something in scripture to validate it, and then beat others up with it--all the while neglecting far more critical scriptures. Do justice, love mercy.

8:20 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I used to listen to Dr. Laura, but I stopped after I saw how unyielding she is on some points. I love that list - it is the perfect thing to show people who hold her opinion.

It also says (somewhere) in the Bible that we should hate sin and love the sinner. I wish she would remember that!

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came by this and I thought you should know that Dr. Laura did say this eight years ago and she apologized in many venues for it. I get so mad when I see people who seem to spout compassion and forgiveness out of one side of their mouth while hate and ignorance comes out the other. She apologized and made clear that she made a mistake. On her show now, she takes calls from and answers questions for homosexual people. Her best friend is gay. So I suppose you might understand how sad it is for someone who knows the ENTIRE story sees something like this and the disgustingness of all of it. We all make mistakes and I think our world needs to make room for people to learn from their mistakes and apologize for them and move on not to make them again. Too bad you don't allow for such things...

1:15 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

In answer to "Anonymous". I realize where you are coming from and I'm sorry if it hurts your sensibilities; but, even after all the apologies, and hearing her recently, I still think Dr. Ruth is extremely rigid (as Kenju says) and her religiousity disgusts me.
To each his or her own, I guess, but it pains me when a person who is so visual uses the "Bible" in a literal sense to cover their judgemental attitudes and petty prejudices.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Gotta love that Jim!

Thanks for posting this, Ginnie, I hope it opens an eye or two.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Ji, smote her a good one.

4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please keep her on your side of 'the pond'.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home