Friday, July 18, 2008

IT’S PRICELESS….but, what is it?


A Picasso perhaps, or Juan Gris, ... maybe Henri Matisse?

None of the above. However, it’s an original sketch and it hangs on the wall of my daughter and son-in-law’s house. Can you imagine what it’s worth?

As the credit-card commercial says…”the paper it’s drawn on…..$1.00, the frame it’s in……..$6.00. The sketch………PRICELESS”.

And,(as Paul Harvey would say) “here’s the rest of the story”. The year was 1982 and my husband and I were living in North Carolina. I was working in the emergency room of our local Hospital and had come home very tired and downcast after a grueling day.

My husband, Dick, had his own business and he must have had a good day because he was in a very jovial mood when I arrived home.

Seeing that I was exhausted and grumpy he insisted that I kick back in the recliner and then he bowed low before me and said, “and what can I do for Madame that will lighten her load?”

I tried to get into his bantering mode and closing my eyes I gestured dramatically with the back of my hand on my forehead, let out a long sigh and said “sir, you can draw me a bath.”

AND HE DID.

12 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Hilarious! Mr. kenju used to say to me all the time that he wanted me to draw his bath (although he always showers). I should have "drawn" it like that one!!

4:40 PM  
Blogger molly said...

that is too funny.. good one!!

5:40 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--tee hee.
Now here's the funny comparison. When my husband and I were first married, we lived in an apartment over his grandparents. The house was old and had ONLY a bathtub. One evening, my husband said--would you draw me a bath.
So I did the same thing--not nearly so artistic as your husband's, but I did a little sketch. It, however, was not framed for posterity.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Oh Ginnie That story is PRICELESS.

Clever, clever. clever

9:12 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Very witty remembrance. I love the delightful repartee between a couple who knew and cared for each other.

These little drawings in families deserve to be saved. I have one. My son in kindergarten drew two identical happy faces side by side, one much larger than the other The big difference was the large one had a beard. His teacher had printed under them for him, "Daddy" . "Me".

2:32 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a great sense of humour. A treasure for sure.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Most of Martha Woodroof in one place said...

Ginnie, I tried to post. It didn't show. So this is a test.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Yes, priceless.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Hah! That's a fun story. I like a tale that brings meaning to an object. Well told.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Ginnie, I love it!!

2:03 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

That's a good story. And like you said it is priceless.

12:08 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

What a delightful story.
Thank you...it was just what I needed to hear.

Hugs,
Laurie

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home